Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

mikepukmel

sourcing parts for an ods like clone

Post by mikepukmel »

Hi All,

Re
http://ampgarage.com/forum/download/fil ... &mode=view

Does anyone have suggestions for best brands for power, output transformers and choke? Mercury Magnetics seem to be priced above Heyboer and a few others that I've seen advertised but could not find a brand (maybe hammond or whoever supplies fender these days?)

Also, best brand for electrolytic capacitors for guitar amps

Thanks,
MP
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: sourcing parts for an ods like clone

Post by pompeiisneaks »

My preferred caps are F&T. Heyboer and hammond make great transformers, but I've not used for an ODS myself. Maybe the ODS gurus' could speak to preferences in that way. I want to build and ODS at some point but I don't want to spend a fortune on the Transformers. I'm very curious about this topic too.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

I used Hammond transformers/choke for my first #102 ODS build and it sounds great. I also use F&T electrolytic caps as they're one of the few companies that still do high voltage axial caps. if you're in the USA then Sprague are also good, but in Europe they're ridiculously expensive if you can get them.

I've used InMadOut transformers in Italy to make my last two sets as they'll wind to you specification so I get an extra 5v secondary to power the relays.

Marcus
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

mikepukmel wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:04 am Hi All,

Re
http://ampgarage.com/forum/download/fil ... &mode=view

Does anyone have suggestions for best brands for power, output transformers and choke? Mercury Magnetics seem to be priced above Heyboer and a few others that I've seen advertised but could not find a brand (maybe hammond or whoever supplies fender these days?)

Also, best brand for electrolytic capacitors for guitar amps

Thanks,
MP
For D builds generally will use all Heyboer and sometimes Magnetic Components Inc (Classictone) output iron. The bigger lytics I usually use F&T or RIFA/Kemet and smaller lytics are usually Sprague or Nichicon.

TM
dreric

Post by dreric »

MP

Were are you? Transformers from the US are really expensive in Europe.

BTW the schematic you posted is kind of a mutt the has bounced around the net for a while. If you look in the Dumble files you'll find much more accurate schematics as well as layouts etc.

Welcome to the forum!

E
Eric
1949 Zenith, Zenith Toggle Recoil, Zenith 55 & 440
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Some interesting info about HAD favourite components here http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ne#p267002