New Build: Ceriatone Replica OTS 50W

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dwietzel

Re: New Build: Ceriatone Replica OTS 50W

Post by dwietzel »

OK. I got the 7812 mounted on the chassis verses the standoff. Now I just need to add the caps, ground back to relay ground on the footswitch switches.

Do amp builders usually build their own footswitch pedal or does anyone make a pre-made pedal for a reasonable price?

Thanks,
7812 On Chassis.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

I don't believe there is a ready-made foot switch for this application. You can make your own or purchase a replacement Marshall two-button switch and rewire it to suit, including replacement of the connector plug.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

I use a Hammond black coated FX pedal box and drill it out for the two switches, two LED's and a midi 5 pin din socket.

use another midi 5 pin din socket on the back of the amp, star quad cable and some 5 pin connectors and you're good to go.
footswitch.JPG

Marcus
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xtian

Post by xtian »

I used this three-button model from tubesandmore:

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/f ... d-din-plug

Cheap and sturdy. Required simple rewiring.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
dwietzel

Post by dwietzel »

3 COMPLETE: Install Bias supply/ rectifier board, and bias pot. Route wires along the relay switch leads, bind together with zip ties, leaving an area unbound to attach the output of the bias pot to the preamp board later.
Bias Board.jpg
Next steps

4. Install OT and Choke, Wire power tube sockets: Screen grid leads first, plate leads, cathode resistors(or wire if you don't use 1ohm's to ground), pilot lamp power assembly, screen resistors, grid stopper resistors & Bus, attach OT plate leads.
dwietzel

Post by dwietzel »

4. Install OT and Choke, Wire power tube sockets: Screen grid leads first, plate leads, cathode resistors(or wire if you don't use 1ohm's to ground), pilot lamp power assembly, screen resistors, grid stopper resistors & Bus, attach OT plate leads.

Everything is fitting beautifully.

Question: Does anyone recommend leaving a little bit of extra wire on the top (maybe 1") in case a re-srtrip or future repairs may need a bit of wire?

Thanks
Choke and OT.jpg
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

dwietzel wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:35 pm

Question: Does anyone recommend leaving a little bit of extra wire on the top (maybe 1") in case a re-srtrip or future repairs may need a bit of wire?

Thanks
Choke and OT.jpg
Yes, my general practice is to leave some "maintenance slack" on the top side.

TM
dwietzel

Post by dwietzel »

4. Install OT and Choke. Wire:
a) COMPLETE: screen grid leads
b) COMPLETE: plate leads
c) cathode resistors(or wire if you don't use 1ohm's to ground)
d) COMPLETE: pilot lamp power assembly
e) screen resistors
f) grid stopper resistors & Bus
g) attach OT plate leads.

Question: Before I pile on all the resistors, does this look good as a foundation?

Thanks
Power Tube Wiring.jpg
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

looks good to me. Neater than most of my builds.

go for it.

Marcus
dwietzel

Post by dwietzel »

I was working on how to get the Phase Inverter wires attached to the Power Tubes. I think I may have something to keep it clean. I was thinking:

1. Connect the 3.3K resistors to the terminal strip by the Power Supply.
2. Then connect the D and G outputs of the phase inverter to the appropriate set of resistors on the terminal strip
3. Use wire to extend resistor to appropriate power tube PIN 5 and shrink wrap resistor / wire connection

Thoughts?

Thanks
Phase Inverter 2 Power.jpg
Overtone100-V2-Ceriatone.jpg
dwietzel

Post by dwietzel »

Maybe my last post left too much to the imagination. Does this help?

Not sure if running audio carrying wires that close to the PT is a good thing. Thoughts?

Any suggestions or pictures of a better way to bring together the two resistors and phase inverter groups?

Thanks
ODS 100.jpg
davebolden44

Post by davebolden44 »

What I did was mounted an extra 3 lug solder post behind the 2 power tubes closest to the pi and mounted my resistors and such on it and used a lug or two on the 5 lug post already there for the other two tubes. It will pay to go through the dumble discussion part of the forum front to back and examine all of the pictures posted for ideas. I saved them all to a folder on my computer for quick reference along with all the schematics and layouts.
davebolden44

Post by davebolden44 »

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=30236
If you look here you can see what I did. In retrospect I realize I should have stripped some wire insulation and put it on the long resistor leads but it works great. My way may not suit others but at the end of the day you are the artist and you can build with whatever techniques you deem the most sensible which is what I did at the time.
drew

Post by drew »

It looks like Ceriatone solders the resistors vertically to the sockets and connects the pairs with short lengths of wire.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137947485 ... 765451275/
dwietzel

Post by dwietzel »

Thanks everyone for the pointers. Just what I needed :-)