New Build: Ceriatone Replica OTS 50W

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dwietzel

Re: New Build: Ceriatone Replica OTS 50W

Post by dwietzel »

dwietzel wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:33 am
sonicmojo wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:23 am On my RG174 coax, I just push down the coax a little to bulge it out at the cut and make a gap in it with a pointy pick and pull out the inner part, no untangling needed and I never lose any strands of shield that way. It may not work with all types of coax.
That sounds perfect. I will certainly give that a try :-) Thanks!
I was able to use a small screwdriver to un-braid the shield. Also found a new method of doing the coax that cleaned things up a bit.

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dwietzel on Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

nice and tidy. I think Nick at Ceriatone does his coax like that with heat shrink on the ground.

Marcus
dwietzel

Post by dwietzel »

Got the ground bus for the pots wired in.

Dave
Pot Ground Bus.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dwietzel

Post by dwietzel »

Can someone clarify what they mean by Star Ground?

Dave
Star Ground.jpg
drew

Post by drew »

^ A single ground point with ground wires coming into it from various directions, like the points of a star. The diagram I'm looking at shows the star ground to the rear of the power transformer. http://www.ceriatone.com/ceriatone/wp-c ... ial-V2.jpg
dwietzel

Post by dwietzel »

dwietzel wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:36 pm Can someone clarify what they mean by Star Ground?

Dave
Star Ground.jpg
I think I may have found out the specifics on the schematic. Can someone confirm?

Thanks,
Dave
Star Ground Power Caps.jpg
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

dwietzel wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:43 am
dwietzel wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:36 pm Can someone clarify what they mean by Star Ground?

Dave
Star Ground.jpg
I think I may have found out the specifics on the schematic. Can someone confirm?

Thanks,
Dave
yes, that diagram is correct, you'll see the main reservoir caps going to the star ground 4 and the others going to 1 and 2. the original diag you posted has them all going to ground 4. I'm not sure how much it matters, nik builds lots of amps and must ground them the way he shows with no problems I've never had ground issues with ODS builds except for one time with an anodised chassis not grounding properly.

M
dwietzel

Post by dwietzel »

norburybrook wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:46 am

Dave
Star Ground.jpg

Thanks,
Dave
yes, that diagram is correct, you'll see the main reservoir caps going to the star ground 4 and the others going to 1 and 2. the original diag you posted has them all going to ground 4. I'm not sure how much it matters, nik builds lots of amps and must ground them the way he shows with no problems I've never had ground issues with ODS builds except for one time with an anodised chassis not grounding properly.

M
Here is what the board looks like. I only have 2 leads for Ground coming off the board. I am trying to confirm larger caps to 4 and smaller ones to 1 or 2. Can someone verify?

Thanks,
Dave
Star Ground Caps.jpg
drew

Post by drew »

I suggest doing it like the diagram you're building from says to do it.
star ground.JPG
dwietzel

Post by dwietzel »

drew wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:55 am I suggest doing it like the diagram you're building from says to do it. star ground.JPG
Thanks!
Dave
dwietzel

Post by dwietzel »

norburybrook wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:46 am

Dave
Star Ground.jpg

Thanks,
Dave

M
Looks like I will have both wires going to #4 star ground then.

Thanks
Dave
dwietzel

Post by dwietzel »

Starting to wire up the preamp board. There is a lot of B+ wiring going over the FET Boost on the bottom of the chassis. I have seen some picture builds that just run the coax across the B+ lines. But I was wondering about laying them up and away from the B+ as in the picture.

Does it matter? What would be best?
Thanks,

Dave
Coax Input Run.jpg
Mr. dB

Post by Mr. dB »

dwietzel wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:07 am Starting to wire up the preamp board. There is a lot of B+ wiring going over the FET Boost on the bottom of the chassis. I have seen some picture builds that just run the coax across the B+ lines. But I was wondering about laying them up and away from the B+ as in the picture.

Thanks,

Dave
Coax Input Run.jpg
Why not run the coax straight across the bottom of the chasis, under the preamp board?
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

The DC is very well filtered by that point so there is really no worry.
dwietzel

Post by dwietzel »

Mr. dB wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:12 pm
dwietzel wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:07 am Starting to wire up the preamp board. There is a lot of B+ wiring going over the FET Boost on the bottom of the chassis. I have seen some picture builds that just run the coax across the B+ lines. But I was wondering about laying them up and away from the B+ as in the picture.

Thanks,

Dave
Coax Input Run.jpg
Why not run the coax straight across the bottom of the chasis, under the preamp board?
Since this is only my 3rd build and my first using coax and I just wanted to make sure that I was not inducing noise by doing so.