New Build: Ceriatone Replica OTS 50W

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dwietzel

New Build: Ceriatone Replica OTS 50W

Post by dwietzel »

Marsh Amps is selling the boards, chassis and face plates on reverb.com. But Mike and Denise went 2 steps more for me.

1. Mike is shipping (for an extra charge of course) the boards loaded.
2. If you give them a BOM they will source all the parts for you even if it is not on their website.

Their response to emails has been fantastic. I have attached the layout for my build.

What I don't have is a schematic and Mike directed me to post here to see if the members could help. Does anyone know what schematic this is based off of?

Also, the MM PT is $300 and I am looking for a lower cost quality option. It looks like the Hammond 290DX I used on my Bassman build might work. Could anyone here also verify if this PT would work (specs file attached)?

My complete set is showing up tomorrow so hopefully will be able to get started soon and post pics along the way.

First time poster here...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dreric

Re: New Build: Ceriatone Replica OTS 50W

Post by dreric »

As far as transformers most find that the bassman is the best match for a 50 watt build. Magnetic Components has the most reasonable prices. Their quality is very good. Many feel that the Mercury stuff is over priced (hyped). If you did this you would need a separate PT for the relay power. The Hammond looks like a pretty close match to the layout.

As far as what generation this layout represents look to the Dumble files sections and schematics. Ceritone copped all their Dumble info from these pages.

Good luck!
Eric
1949 Zenith, Zenith Toggle Recoil, Zenith 55 & 440
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

dwietzel wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:01 am Marsh Amps is selling the boards, chassis and face plates on reverb.com. But Mike and Denise went 2 steps more for me.

1. Mike is shipping (for an extra charge of course) the boards loaded.
2. If you give them a BOM they will source all the parts for you even if it is not on their website.

Their response to emails has been fantastic. I have attached the layout for my build.

What I don't have is a schematic and Mike directed me to post here to see if the members could help. Does anyone know what schematic this is based off of?

Also, the MM PT is $300 and I am looking for a lower cost quality option. It looks like the Hammond 290DX I used on my Bassman build might work. Could anyone here also verify if this PT would work (specs file attached)?

My complete set is showing up tomorrow so hopefully will be able to get started soon and post pics along the way.

First time poster here...
Welcome aboard!

So the above mentioned cloner of a clone amp builder who pilfered all of his Dumble info from TAG, sent his kit parts customer to TAG for support on an amp that he also builds......LOL

Loosely based on #102

TM
Bob Simpson

Post by Bob Simpson »

ToneMerc wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:46 pm Welcome aboard!

So the above mentioned cloner of a clone amp builder who pilfered all of his Dumble info from TAG, sent his kit parts customer to TAG for support on an amp that he also builds......LOL

Loosely based on #102

TM
I was thinking it, but I didn't want to say it...

This is after all his first post here....
:wink:

Bob
Please understand that IMO an answer to this question is of no practical relevance at all. - Max
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

Bob Simpson wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:30 pm
This is after all his first post here....
:wink:

Bob
Yeah, BTW no poke or swipe at dwietzel was intended or implied.

TM
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

It's kinda, but not quite, like the guy who stole a guitar from me and then brought it to me for repair. :D
Electronic equipment is designed using facts and mathematics, not opinion and dogma.
rogb

Post by rogb »

Love it, "Ceriatone Replica" :D

When I bought one, I also innocently came on here asking noob questions, not realising it was entirely sourced from info on TAG.
I've got to say Nik was very helpful, but I don't support his business model morally.
It was a nice sounding amp, using Hammond iron, though.
In HAD's eyes, we are all "pirates" so we better have thick skins 8)
I don't think I would bother with expensive transformers any more, in the UK, MM and even MC are incredibly expensive.
A good set of Hammond will do the trick.
dwietzel

Post by dwietzel »

WOW...PLEASE READ

Let me make a couple of things clear which I had hoped was clear in my first post.

1. Mike at Marsh amps did NOT sell me a kit. He sold the chassis, face plates and eyelet boards which (for a fee) he kindly will load the parts.
2. After I gave him a BOM List in a spreadsheet for the rest, he then kindly sourced the parts for me so I did not have to go to 3 other vendors and pay 3 times the shipping.

So again, Mike did NOT advertise or sell this as a kit and does not plan to Sell as a kit...he offered exactly what I needed since building chassis, face plates and boards are not something I have talent for.

Since most of the comments were TAG related, can someone please confirm if the Hammond PT spec I attached should be OK for this build?

Thanks...
dcribbs1412

Post by dcribbs1412 »

dwietzel wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:35 pm

Since most of the comments were TAG related, can someone please confirm if the Hammond PT spec I attached should be OK for this build?

Thanks...
Tranny should work fine dwietzel
assuming chassis cut out is correct.
Post progress when possible

D
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

If this is a Ceriatone chassis, they use a larger sized power transformer for 50w than standard.
CW
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Also, your layout is for a high plate Skyliner. You could look at the schematic for 124 and swap in the higher plate loads, cathode values, and OD trim and drive.
CW
dwietzel

Post by dwietzel »

Thanks Charlie and dcribbs.

Charlie,

Mike did mention that I might have to drill holes for the Hammond. I do believe he sources the chassis from Ceriatone.

Do you know of a drop replacement other then the $300 MM? Would appreciate any guidance.

If I do go with the Hammond, do I need a separate PT for the relays as someone suggested?

Thanks!

Dave
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Dave, the Ceriatone and Mercury 50w power transformer is the size of a twin transformer. If the cutout in your chassis is not so large that you can drill holes than that is what you will have to do. Otherwise you may have to make some kind of supporting bracket. Could you not get a transformer from Ceriatone? Finally, yes you will need a transformer for the relays. If you are not in a hurry, you could have Heyboer make you a transformer with an extra tap for the relay but the size issue will not change.
CW
dwietzel

Post by dwietzel »

Yes,

I thought about just ordering the transformers from Ceriatone but he sells all 3 (PT, OT, Choke) and does not specify brand or if it is his own custom magnetics. It would cost around $300+ for all 3 but I just was not sure what I would be getting. Hammond, Heyboer and MM I know what I am getting. Here is all he posts on his website:

Trannies Power & output trans & choke USD 220.00 11.0kg + about $90 shipping.

Thoughts?
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Dave, I have not heard of any issues with the Ceriatone transformers but I don't follow that product line too closely for the reasons that you probably are getting a vibe for on TAG. They are most likely Asian wound transformers custom made for him. If I were you, I would ask Mike to measure the cutout and then go to the Hammond site and check the sizing specs on their transformer. Drilling the holes should not be too big a deal. You can probably get a Hammond transformer that would work for your relays also. Dumble used Radio Shack transformers for the relays but now Radio Shack only sells cell phones.
CW