50 watt EL34 ODS on Reverb

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: 50 watt EL34 ODS on Reverb

Post by pompeiisneaks »

So sad all of this. I guess it just goes to show, don't count on a handshake with businessmen you don't yet know. Get it in writing!

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

Cameron wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:19 pm
FUCHSAUDIO wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:19 pm Dude, I called him when I heard he was anointed (or appointed) and told him to make sure he had a damn good contract and his interests were protected. Paul deftly played a few amp guys off one another at the very same time in a rather underhanded way. Matt Garcia, Me and Doug, maybe someone else, I forget. After the handshake deal, I posted the PRS proto on E-bay for sale and Matt called me to relate his stories of how he got wanked around too. We shared some laughs on the phone for a few hours. "We don't need a contract. My word is my bond. Ask anyone in the business". Sure Paul...a good learning experience.

SO: Matt sent Paul a prototype too. He went there for a crab cake lunch and hanging at Paul's house, playing guitars and amps, the whole "Paul's pal" enchilada. He then sent a prototype which "they loved". He went up for a meeting to discuss things further and Paul sat him in a conference room (with tears welling up in his eyes...ffs), and told him "we can't work with you because "sniff" you don't trust us". When Matt asked what exactly that meant...Paul explained they "opened the amp to see how it was made and found it siliconed over, which means you don't trust us, so we can't trust you". That makes sense.

I've had more than my share of interesting discussions with PRS people both in and out of the factory. He's a true gem: The Archon amp was a side project of one of the amp shop guys. Paul hated it.....that was until Mark Tremonti saw it, played it and liked it....So Paul said "I've been working on that for over a year". The kid who designed it (with Doug's help) had all to do but break it over Paul's head.
So.. the Archon amp really was made by a kid that works for PRS ??.... I heard another person designed it ...and this kid took the prototype given to them and figured it out...made some small changes. Paul didn't want to pay the original designer what he wanted and what I think was agreed upon. ..and that guy also went through the whole handshake game. I'm not sure if this is true ..but..that's what I heard.

I don't doubt that one bit Mark. Paul's an operator like that. The story I'd heard was this kid developed it as his own "side project" in the shop. My guys do it all the time. They take an old chassis we don't use anymore and some scratched up old transformers and we make something fun they can learn from an enjoy. The kid supposedly (with Doug's help) built this amp (more than likely a JCM clone of sorts) on his lunch time and after hours for fun. The Tremonti thing was the killer....the kid was tweaking in on his bench when Paul was giving Mark a factory tour. Paul told the kid he didn't like it....BUT: When Tremonti heard it, tried it and then when he liked it Paul got right out in front of the thing proudly proclaiming how "he's been working on it for over a year". This is the kind of character he is.
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Yeah, I have a 1990 PRS and I met him in L.A. once, I was having an issue with the rotary switch in the guitar. Paul didn't want to address my issue personally and referred me to his assistant, who offered no real assistance but at least was sympathetic.

I have heard of other PRS stories, it's neither here nor there. In short I don't doubt what you say Andy.
Getting back to your experience, I loved the part of your story where the amp is opened and it is found to have silicon over the components. I'm surprised Matt didn't ask what are you doing inside the amp.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott