Discussion on #102 Robben Ford Amp

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Matt J

Re: #102 Robben Ford Amp

Post by Matt J »

For anyone who has had experience building versions or this circuit, or has studied original ODS amps from this era: any ideas on what types of components HAD may have been used on the preamp board? Dale rn65d for the plates and mepco mf7c for the cathodes? Any chance HAD was still using Piher resistors by this point, or had he moved on to another brand/source?

I've always dug Robben's tone, and I'm looking at what to build next. I think this circuit will go great with my Les Paul. I just ordered some new vintage-spec humbuckers and a Faber ABR-1 bridge to go in it too!
- Matt J.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Discussion on #102 Robben Ford Amp

Post by pompeiisneaks »

This thread is for discussion about the Dumble #102 Robben Ford amp.

Moving a comment from the files section. (Please remember to keep discussion here, and files there).
tUber Nerd!
Matt J

Re: Discussion on #102 Robben Ford Amp

Post by Matt J »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:33 pm This thread is for discussion about the Dumble #102 Robben Ford amp.

Moving a comment from the files section. (Please remember to keep discussion here, and files there).
Sorry for the mixup! Thanks for moving this pompeiisneaks!
- Matt J.
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Matt, most likely Roderstein MK3 metal films for plates and cathodes. Draloric ( Sprague Q LIne ) for carbon films.
CW
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Matt J wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:52 pm
pompeiisneaks wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:33 pm This thread is for discussion about the Dumble #102 Robben Ford amp.

Sorry for the mixup! Thanks for moving this pompeiisneaks!
- Matt J.
No problem, just spent a ton of time cleaning out the files sections of TW and Dumble and want them to stay focused on just data, and such. :)

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Mr. dB

Post by Mr. dB »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:55 pm Matt, most likely Roderstein MK3 metal films for plates and cathodes. Draloric ( Sprague Q LIne ) for carbon films.
CW
The Roederstein resistors were very popular with the high end hifi crowd in the '80s/'90s.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

Matt J wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:17 am For anyone who has had experience building versions or this circuit, or has studied original ODS amps from this era: any ideas on what types of components HAD may have been used on the preamp board? Dale rn65d for the plates and mepco mf7c for the cathodes? Any chance HAD was still using Piher resistors by this point, or had he moved on to another brand/source?

I've always dug Robben's tone, and I'm looking at what to build next. I think this circuit will go great with my Les Paul. I just ordered some new vintage-spec humbuckers and a Faber ABR-1 bridge to go in it too!
- Matt J.

I can identify just about every resistor or cap type that he ever used and I'm a heavy user of period correct and NOS parts. The holy grail period correct parts are pretty much unobtainable in decent quantity for a complete build. However, there are close equivalents and in reality one can build a great sounding amp using modern parts right from Mouser.

My question would be to you, which Robben Ford Dumble tone?

TM
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

I can identify just about every resistor or cap type that he ever used and I'm a heavy user of period correct and NOS parts. The holy grail period correct parts are pretty much unobtainable in decent quantity for a complete build. However, there are close equivalents and in reality one can build a great sounding amp using modern parts right from Mouser.

My question would be to you, which Robben Ford Dumble tone?

TM
[/quote]

Hmm.... That's a good question, I'll have to think that one over a bit!!

I did spend some time looking for some of the parts others have mention, you're right that they've basically become extremely hard to find!! I'll be happy settling for modern production stuff though.