[Question] Dumble Transformers

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Bombacaototal

[Question] Dumble Transformers

Post by Bombacaototal »

Besides the usual OT, PT and choke I noticed that all Dumble amps (ODS, ODR, SSS) use a Chassis Mount transformer (usually radioShack)

I understand that these filament power transformers are used to Regulate the voltage if the stock Transforme is working at the limits of the current rating

I've seen some of the clones (ie Two Rock, Hartman) ignoring this transformer. Is this essential for the Dumble amps? I've ignored it on my ODS planning but wondering if I should add it?
norburybrook

Re: [Question] Dumble Transformers

Post by norburybrook »

are you talking about the small transformer inside the chassis?

that's for the relays.

IF you have your own transformers wound then you can just get an extra 6v/12v secondary added instead.

Marcus
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

norburybrook wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:36 am are you talking about the small transformer inside the chassis?

that's for the relays.

IF you have your own transformers wound then you can just get an extra 6v/12v secondary added instead.

Marcus
Thanks a lot Marcus, indeed the samll transformers inside the chassis. I didn't realise they were for the relay, it makes much more sense now. I appreciate your reply
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Considering this dumble amp does not have a relay (fender style footswitch) is it fair to assume that in this case the secondary transformer is a voltage regulator?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bombacaototal on Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Probably a filament transformer since there are so many tubes in that amp.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

M Fowler wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:33 pm Probably a filament transformer since there are so many tubes in that amp.
Thanks a lot for the reply