Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Bombacaototal

Re: Evolution of SSS

Post by Bombacaototal »

Thanks Mark! The quality is much better than the one I was working of
Mr. dB

Post by Mr. dB »

Where does the Bruce Egnater claim that the SRV SSS he worked on contained an actual Ampeg SVT amp chassis fit into this timeline?
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

@Mr.DB, SRV amps are unconfirmed. I've read in the forum that maybe the silverface was #005 and the blackface was #006, although there are other claims that Eric Johnson was #005, #006 was with Randy California and SRV silverface was #007, and the blackface was an unknown number
Last edited by Bombacaototal on Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

The question marks behind the cap can are the reverb transformer based on the other pictures posted

So the 8 plate loads and 8 cathodes are still a mystery
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bombacaototal on Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dreric

Post by dreric »

In the 2 pictures you posted the ? = reverb transformer.
Eric
1949 Zenith, Zenith Toggle Recoil, Zenith 55 & 440
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

dreric wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:05 pm In the 2 pictures you posted the ? = reverb transformer.
Thanks dreric

These are the RCA plugs Aaron mentioned
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

I am also thinking that the Ceriatone Schematic here is not 100% accurate

If you take a look at the attachment there are 3 caps which look very much the same size, all smaller than .05uF. They are the cap before the filter inductor (after V1B plate load), the LNFB on V2A (reverb send) and the LNFB on V3A (reverb wet mixer). I would assume all 3 are probably .01uF?

Also the last cap on the left is either the cap before the Master or the Mid Accent (but looks to big to be .001uF which was used on #002 and #005 before updated to presence). So it is probably the .02uF before the master, which is slightly bigger than the 3 same size caps I assumed to be .01uF

Does anyone have the actual Ceriatone SSS kit schematic?
Krinkle

Post by Krinkle »

Was the Ceriatone ever actually sold as a kit? I don't think it was, and I don't think they ever supplied a schematic. But I could be wrong. The Ceriatone was what brought me here. I heard about the amp and went to the website looking for a kit and couldn't find one. I'm actually glad it happened that way now.
Mr. dB

Post by Mr. dB »

Krinkle wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:40 pm Was the Ceriatone ever actually sold as a kit? I don't think it was, and I don't think they ever supplied a schematic. But I could be wrong. The Ceriatone was what brought me here. I heard about the amp and went to the website looking for a kit and couldn't find one. I'm actually glad it happened that way now.
Let alone a schematic, have they ever posted interior photos?
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Mr. dB wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:47 pm
Krinkle wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:40 pm Was the Ceriatone ever actually sold as a kit? I don't think it was, and I don't think they ever supplied a schematic. But I could be wrong. The Ceriatone was what brought me here. I heard about the amp and went to the website looking for a kit and couldn't find one. I'm actually glad it happened that way now.
Let alone a schematic, have they ever posted interior photos?
On the forum there are several ceriatone sss gut shots. You need to use the search as I cannot recall exactly where
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Thanks, I didn't know it was not available as a kit
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I've only known of 2 people build a SSS kit from Ceriatone.

Here are the photos a member posted: http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... &start=105
Krinkle

Post by Krinkle »

Bombacaototal wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:05 pm
Krinkle wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:00 pm
Bombacaototal wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:55 pm It also only has 1 LNFB like the 80's ods (ie #124)
Do you mean the 4 10M resistors and the 0.05uF cap from the plate of V1b to it's grid?
Yes, from what I recall someone who had access to the amp wrote...it is somehwere in this thread.... http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... +an+update

Although I am certain it had only 1 LNFB in pre amp, and not like the early SSS (link on my first post)

Maybe some of the "old school" people here can shed some light
There are a lot of internal pictures of EJ's SSS clones on the net and I'm going to be bold and say that, at the very least, the clones do not have local feedback. It would have to be buried underneath the boards and from the build style I don't think this is the case.
JD0x0

Post by JD0x0 »

I hope this thread gets more attention.

Personally, I would love if a builder, who knows the SSS well, could build the different versions, and then do sound clips so we can hear some of the differences between the different SSS designs
It's true i've lost my marbles and i cant remember where i put them