Tweedle Dee Questions

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Jbones

Tweedle Dee Questions

Post by Jbones »

I'm very new here so pardon me if this question has already been answered. I have a Weber Proluxe that I got in a trade that has a few mods done to it already. The two biggest mods would be 1) the amp runs off of 6L6 tubes instead of 6v6 so would there be a way to do this mod while still accounting for any changes used to convert the amp to 6L6 tubes? Would I have to account for any capacitor, resistor, etc. values? and 2) It has a tweed "tamer" mod done to it. Would anything there need to change in order for me to do this mod? I am more less looking for more sparkle in the amp. The amp already has a lot of clean headroom for a 5E3 circuit so I like the idea of having to dime it to get some out of it. I wouldn't think it would be too hard but again, I am an amp mod virgin. I have been silently nerding out this forum after playing a fuchs modified ods. I was sold! I can take pictures of the back of the amp if anyone would be interested in helping me as well. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help me out! Truly appreciate you guys paying the information forward!

THANKS!
M Fowler

Re: Tweedle Dee Questions

Post by M Fowler »

The Weber 5e3 and 5e3Proluxe both use the same power transformer but the Proluxe uses the larger 40w output transformer and is grid bias.

The 5e3 6v6 smaller OT and is cathode bias.

All you have to due is convert to the Tweedle Dee component layout. Your amp will be 6L6GC tubes grid biased.

Otherwise, install 6V6 and rebias, run the secondary of the OT at 6k secondary if possible.
40w OT 404248sch.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jbones

Re: Tweedle Dee Questions

Post by Jbones »

Thank you! Assuming by grid biased you mean fixed bias? Hopefully that isn't too much of a stupid question... Also, another question showing my inexperience- I've found lots of schematics for a tweed type mod but a lot of them show 3 inputs, does anyone have any very detailed schematics/pictures with pot values and what-not that are very self-explanatory? I know the sound I'm looking for but my ears are far better than my amp modding skills obviously...