Dumble talk by Don Felder

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

M Fowler

Dumble talk by Don Felder

Post by M Fowler »

I was watching Don Felder rig talk and found his Dumble discussion interesting. Mr. Dumble very much active in 2016 at least.

Starting at 24:00 Dumble discussion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLMJIfmaVzM
drew

Re: Dumble talk by Don Felder

Post by drew »

I've seen and heard a number of interviews with Felder, from big-time outlets like Howard Stern to "tell us about your pedal board"-type YouTube videos for guitar geeks, and he invariably comes across as the most pleasant, humble, even-keeled guy you could ever hope to meet. But in that Eagles documentary that came out a couple years ago, Henley and Frey seemed like they just detested him. It would be interesting to know what really went on.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Wow! I'd heard rumors he refused to work on anything, and was only doing custom gun work of some kind now. :) Good to know he helps the rock gods still :)

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

remember about a month ago I mentioned I was at a friends house and Eric Clapton had been over the day before and said HAD was building him a new amp. A 100w Bandmaster.

Marcus
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

norburybrook wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:39 am remember about a month ago I mentioned I was at a friends house and Eric Clapton had been over the day before and said HAD was building him a new amp. A 100w Bandmaster.

Marcus
Yes I remember you talking about the Eric Clapton amp build.
Mark

Post by Mark »

What sort of Bandmaster?

Tweed, brown face or black face. I wonder if Clapton is in any shape to use it?
I saw pictures of him in a wheelchair.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

I saw that too Mark. I'll be seeing my friend next week who was Eric's guitarist so if Eric has been over I'll enquire as to what's happening.

Eric had asked HAD for a 100w bandmaster, he didn't go into details, I 'm not sure Eric does amp details to be honest.

Marcus
Mark

Post by Mark »

Felder also said this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lVsogVUr9Yk

This is for EJ and R. Ford fans curiosity.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UolrzOY0yFc
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
MakerDP

Post by MakerDP »

Mark wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:01 pm Felder also said this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lVsogVUr9Yk

This is for EJ and R. Ford fans curiosity.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UolrzOY0yFc
Yeah that Blues Cube Artist has gotten my attention. A little too pricey though IMO. If it were $300 cheaper I'd go for it.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Yeah I agree, it piqued my curiosity. I like the fact it is simple to use and I don't need a pedal board covered in footswitches. The modules didn't do it for me, the dirty channel of the EJ model sounds too dark. I didn't think there was a lot of tonal difference.

I also wonder why these guys have chosen this amp and as far as I can tell they don't use it. Has anyone seen RF, EJ or Don Felder using one live?
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Mark wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:22 am Yeah I agree, it piqued my curiosity. I like the fact it is simple to use and I don't need a pedal board covered in footswitches. The modules didn't do it for me, the dirty channel of the EJ model sounds too dark. I didn't think there was a lot of tonal difference.

I also wonder why these guys have chosen this amp and as far as I can tell they don't use it. Has anyone seen RF, EJ or Don Felder using one live?
I saw the robben ford demo of this amp and thought it sounded awful. I doubt you'll see any of these guys using those amps. It's just a money thing and fair play to them if they've built the reputation that will bring them some extra income. Neither Robben or EJ have made the kind of money someone like John Mayer or Eric Clapton have made so they still need to earn a living.

Marcus
Mark

Post by Mark »

I think I saw the same video as you. RF was playing the amp at NAMM and it did sound awful. I would have thought Roland would have specified live usage in the contracts with RF and EJ. The Don Felder clip sees him gushing over the amp, yet he doesn't use it live.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
MakerDP

Post by MakerDP »

It would not surprise me if any them don't use it. They can afford to pay someone to baby their amps while on tour so they are just going to play whatever they are most comfortable with.

However, if you believe this video, Chuck Loeb uses them on stage...