Dumble #183 5th Gen BOM discussion

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Matt J

Re: #183 5th Generation ODS Skyliner. Layout/Schematic

Post by Matt J »

I'v been working on a BOM for #183, and here is what I have so far.
This is the first time I've tried to make one of these, I used another BOM here as a template to start with and updated some of the part numbers since some where now obsolete or unavailable.
Some notes:
- I tried to use as few separate sources as possible, most things are coming from Mouser and Antique Electronic Supply. This is so you can keep your # of separate purchases to a minimum, which is great if you're just a hobby builder like myself and would like to save a little money on orders.
- Looking at the layout, I tried to find matching NTE metal film resistors for the signal path that were as close as possible.
- I could not source 330uf/350v Sprague electrolytic caps for the power filtering, but considering how expensive Spragues have become I do not figure it to be that big of a loss. I use the closest values I can find.
- I replaced the make of some of the capacitors, such as the 68k Piher since they are not always readily available. Other capacitors that were not specifically labeled where classified as either carbon film or metal oxide depending on their function within the amp.
- There are multiple difference makers and sources for the transformers, I just happened to use the Magic Parts listings on these.
- I listed the quantity of each component, but not their costs, since these can vary over time.
- I did not include any parts for the FET circuit in this since some, such as myself, prefer to omit this part.

If anyone who has built copies of #183 wants to chime in with components they really found useful or edits to the BOM, feel free to share them! If it gets too wordy and off topic-feel free to move it to the discussion section!

- Matt J.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xtian

Post by xtian »

There are two switches on the rear panel for the switching system. I can't tell if they're on-off-on or on-on. They don't appear on the schematic, do they?
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
dcribbs1412

Post by dcribbs1412 »

Hi xtian
Not on schem
they are on layout
on-on
I have used spdt also

D
rogb

Post by rogb »

Matt J wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:37 pm I'v been working on a BOM for #183, and here is what I have so far.
This is the first time I've tried to make one of these, I used another BOM here as a template to start with and updated some of the part numbers since some where now obsolete or unavailable.
Some notes:
- I tried to use as few separate sources as possible, most things are coming from Mouser and Antique Electronic Supply. This is so you can keep your # of separate purchases to a minimum, which is great if you're just a hobby builder like myself and would like to save a little money on orders.
- Looking at the layout, I tried to find matching NTE metal film resistors for the signal path that were as close as possible.
- I could not source 330uf/350v Sprague electrolytic caps for the power filtering, but considering how expensive Spragues have become I do not figure it to be that big of a loss. I use the closest values I can find.
- I replaced the make of some of the capacitors, such as the 68k Piher since they are not always readily available. Other capacitors that were not specifically labeled where classified as either carbon film or metal oxide depending on their function within the amp.
- There are multiple difference makers and sources for the transformers, I just happened to use the Magic Parts listings on these.
- I listed the quantity of each component, but not their costs, since these can vary over time.
- I did not include any parts for the FET circuit in this since some, such as myself, prefer to omit this part.

If anyone who has built copies of #183 wants to chime in with components they really found useful or edits to the BOM, feel free to share them! If it gets too wordy and off topic-feel free to move it to the discussion section!

- Matt J.
Thanks, that looks very useful, I haven't checked it carefully but it looks to be OK.
Last edited by rogb on Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

Matt J wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:37 pm I'v been working on a BOM for #183, and here is what I have so far.
Some notes:

- Matt J.
This should been a discussion thread and then once an accurate BOM was signed off on, a single post. Otherwise, the 183 "files" thread becomes cluttered with a filler discussing an inaccurate BOM. Examples; the only NTE blue MF greater than 1/2w is in the feedback position and the trimmers are CTS and Piher 15mm horizontals, not the tiny 6mm verticals.

If I get some time I will edit the BOM, but will leave off the iron, but wil include the FET circuit.

FWIW, here's my 183

TM
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rogb

Post by rogb »

Good point TM, it's best if it is checked and signed off before posting.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Dumble #183 5th Gen BOM discussion

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Creating a Discussion thread for the BOM. Please do post the final version in the files when complete and validated.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
donvan

Re: Dumble #183 5th Gen BOM discussion

Post by donvan »

The BOM are very helpful. Thanks for doing that!

I did find an error. For your .0022uF Polyester File Capacitor you have the wrong partnumber. The part number that you have is going to get you a .022uF. The correct partnumber is MLR222K630.