SSS002 Deep Switch - Seriously

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Bombacaototal

Re: SSS002 Deep Switch - Seriously

Post by Bombacaototal »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:43 pm I've always wondered about the FET myself. My guess was that back in the day Dumble didn't like any of the boost pedals so he built one into the amp (just a wild guess mind you). Nowadays there are like TONS of clean boost pedals out there that would do the same job very easily, and could be incorporated into a pedalboard, obviating the need for the FET. What are people's thoughts on that as well? I'm planning a Dumble build after I finish my TW LIverpool, and don't need to build it 100% to a specific standard as much as build an outstanding amp, and learn in the process. I'm likely to start a separate thread as I approach that date, so I'll just slightly derail this one with the FET question :D

~Phil
I absolutely agree with this theory

In my opinion id rather have a keeley kanata in place of the FET. I also use a good amount of FX so would rather have the clean boost right after the guitar than at the end of the pedal chain (beginning of the amp - which is what the FET is)

Although based on the way Dumble designed his amp it would make sense. I think he wanted his amp to be guitar -> boost (fet) -> pre amp boost -> Overdrive -> all the wet / trem effect on the loop

That way the FET is effectively in the beginning of the chain
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

The FET in an ODS is based on the Barcus Berry preamp from the 70s. I believe it was incorporated into the amp so you could plug in an acoustic guitar. At the time, the Barcus Berry Hot Dot was the pickup being used and it is a bit crude to say the least.
CW
Krinkle

Post by Krinkle »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:43 pm I've always wondered about the FET myself. My guess was that back in the day Dumble didn't like any of the boost pedals so he built one into the amp (just a wild guess mind you). Nowadays there are like TONS of clean boost pedals out there that would do the same job very easily, and could be incorporated into a pedalboard, obviating the need for the FET. What are people's thoughts on that as well? I'm planning a Dumble build after I finish my TW LIverpool, and don't need to build it 100% to a specific standard as much as build an outstanding amp, and learn in the process. I'm likely to start a separate thread as I approach that date, so I'll just slightly derail this one with the FET question :D

~Phil
No worries at all, I've settled that I'm removing the Deep Switch circuit and replacing it with the Mid Boost, and I'm very happy to do it. I just wanted to do my due diligence before I just pulled it out or gave up on it. Now that I've done that, I'm good.

1st off, I LOOOOOVE the FET circuit. When it was buzzing in my modded amp I tried using my Throbak Overdrive Boost (copy of a Coloursound Power Boost) instead and it "almost" did the same thing, sounded almost identical. But in the end I was left wanting the real thing. Also, because it is directly in front of the 1st stage, when you are stacking pedals you would have to put your boost last on your pedalboard, and that's not where I wanted mine.

After spending about 4 hours on Saturday troubleshooting, finding and getting rid of the buzz, don't worry, if you have trouble with it I can probably help you fix it.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Cool, if I go the full FET route, (and I still may) I'll def post here if I"m having issues. I've read up on the biasing procedure thread etc.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Krinkle

Post by Krinkle »

Because I modded a Bassman, I had to change voltage the dropping resistor value, so there's probably other stuff I can help you with if you need.