SSS002 Deep Switch - Seriously

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Krinkle

SSS002 Deep Switch - Seriously

Post by Krinkle »

Does this thing actually do anything, I'm asking seriously and respectfully as I've encountered circuits like this before. I've traced the parts and wires in my build at least ten times now, looked at different versions/variations, tried them, still no effect. I've tried every combination of knob settings and volumes possible, nada.

Could somebody humour me and grab their iphone and hit their low E and toggle their Deep switch so I can hear something happening, to shut me up? I know/assume that the SSS002 schematic has some errors. Is this one of those top secret ones where only those in the know have the solution?

Also, did I read somewhere here that some Deep switches are actually wired as Mid Boosts?
Bombacaototal

Re: SSS002 Deep Switch - Seriously

Post by Bombacaototal »

Krinkle wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:16 pm Does this thing actually do anything, I'm asking seriously and respectfully as I've encountered circuits like this before. I've traced the parts and wires in my build at least ten times now, looked at different versions/variations, tried them, still no effect. I've tried every combination of knob settings and volumes possible, nada.

Could somebody humour me and grab their iphone and hit their low E and toggle their Deep switch so I can hear something happening, to shut me up? I know/assume that the SSS002 schematic has some errors. Is this one of those top secret ones where only those in the know have the solution?

Also, did I read somewhere here that some Deep switches are actually wired as Mid Boosts?
That is true, a lot of circuits that were updated got the mid boost in place of the deep

By the sound I am almost sure SRV SSS was the same, and he plays MID boost ON
Krinkle

Post by Krinkle »

Thanks for the reply B. For SRV are you talking the 183 mid boost?
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Krinkle wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:36 pm Thanks for the reply B. For SRV are you talking the 183 mid boost?
Indeed, with treble cap @ .002uF
Krinkle

Post by Krinkle »

Okay, I can pop that in my build in minutes and I'm pretty sure I have the parts on hand. I'll let you know what I think when I hear it, thanks.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Krinkle,

It's very subtle , I have it my new wonderland build and I can hear it working but it's subtle. If you look through my #124 build thread Martin Manning posted some frequency graphs which show what it does. I went backwards and forwards with the classic(that has the deep switch) and Skyiner EQ a couple of times before settling on the Skyliner with the mid boost in place of the deep.

Marcus
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

In the beginning of this video you can see SRV switching from Jazz to Rock.

https://youtu.be/Oi69EGRYCXQ

In my opinion both jazz and FET are a bit of a waste of circutry

Anyway when he goes to the switches both bright and deep are ON. In my opinion it sounds more like Mid but it's only my opinion
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

I agree, I've made most of my Dumbles without Jazz or FET.

Marcus
xtian

Post by xtian »

If omitting the Jazz/Rock switch, do you guys prefer it in the Rock position?

And what function do you like to put in the panel in place of Jazz/Rock?
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

xtian wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:00 pm If omitting the Jazz/Rock switch, do you guys prefer it in the Rock position?

And what function do you like to put in the panel in place of Jazz/Rock?
Rock for sure

Go for bright, mid and deep for the 3 toggles
xtian

Post by xtian »

OK. Bright, mid, and "deef". Excellent.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Krinkle

Post by Krinkle »

norburybrook wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:22 pm Krinkle,

It's very subtle , I have it my new wonderland build and I can hear it working but it's subtle. If you look through my #124 build thread Martin Manning posted some frequency graphs which show what it does. I went backwards and forwards with the classic(that has the deep switch) and Skyiner EQ a couple of times before settling on the Skyliner with the mid boost in place of the deep.

Marcus
Thanks for the reply Marcus. I built up an external panel with a SKyliner eq a few weeks ago and it didn't blow me away. I did the 183 version. So I went back to the Classic.
Krinkle

Post by Krinkle »

Bombacaototal wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:32 pm In the beginning of this video you can see SRV switching from Jazz to Rock.

https://youtu.be/Oi69EGRYCXQ

In my opinion both jazz and FET are a bit of a waste of circutry

Anyway when he goes to the switches both bright and deep are ON. In my opinion it sounds more like Mid but it's only my opinion
Funny how people's tastes are different, I love the FET, couldn't do without it. I haven't used the Jazz position yet, so as of now I could live without it.
aflynt

Post by aflynt »

Bombacaototal wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:32 pm In my opinion both jazz and FET are a bit of a waste of circutry
Nooooooooooooooooooo........... LOL. Just give Jazz a chance.... Skyliner/Jazz is my favorite. Crank the input volume, mid and bass to compensate for gain loss. It's quite a cool sound IMHO. Admittedly, for the first 3 or 4 years I had my 102/ODS clones I never used Jazz once, but now I don't use anything else. I could take or leave FET, though.

-Aaron
Krinkle

Post by Krinkle »

What about PAB? Did SRV have/use it? It's in the EJ amp right?

I tried it with the Skyliner and didn't like it. I'm going to try it with the Classic. Anybody try it?