SSS002 Deep Switch - Seriously

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Charlie Wilson

Re: SSS002 Deep Switch - Seriously

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Bombacaototal wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:32 pm In the beginning of this video you can see SRV switching from Jazz to Rock.

https://youtu.be/Oi69EGRYCXQ

In my opinion both jazz and FET are a bit of a waste of circutry

Anyway when he goes to the switches both bright and deep are ON. In my opinion it sounds more like Mid but it's only my opinion
Yeah I have to respectfully disagree with the jazz and FET being a waste. The thing is some of the guys complain about a Strat not pushing the front end hard enough and use a boost pedal. I say, the amp has a pretty good sounding boost pedal built in. :D The 70s circuit guys consider the FET pretty mandatory. Yes with the Jazz switch you loose some gain but that means you can turn up your master. The great thing about Dumble circuits is that there are many different cool sounds you can get in the slightly distorted realm by playing with the different switches. Finally, I really like the deep switch on a Low Plate Classic with the Strat. It sweetens up the high end and fills out the low end. I notice many people when they demo a Dumble with a Strat have the deep switch engaged (Doug Doppler). My $.02.
CW
Krinkle

Post by Krinkle »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:22 pmFinally, I really like the deep switch on a Low Plate Classic with the Strat. It sweetens up the high end and fills out the low end. I notice many people when they demo a Dumble with a Strat have the deep switch engaged (Doug Doppler). My $.02.
CW
Oh man, now I want the Deep switch to work, any tips?
jam-mill

Post by jam-mill »

Krinkle wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:30 pm
Bombacaototal wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:32 pm In the beginning of this video you can see SRV switching from Jazz to Rock.

Anyway when he goes to the switches both bright and deep are ON. In my opinion it sounds more like Mid but it's only my opinion
Funny how people's tastes are different, I love the FET, couldn't do without it. I haven't used the Jazz position yet, so as of now I could live without it.
Couldn't do without the FET circuit for single-coil strat; gives the added boost so that the first gain stage doesn't have to be cranked wide-open to get
a smooth overdrive.
John 15:12-13
Krinkle

Post by Krinkle »

Krinkle wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:49 pm Okay, I can pop that in my build in minutes and I'm pretty sure I have the parts on hand. I'll let you know what I think when I hear it, thanks.
Wow!!!!! I LOVE this mid boost! If it wasn't for Charlie Wilson's comment about the Deep switch, I would already have it ripped out and this Mid Boost installed. If I can get the Deep switch to work like CW described, along with this, I'll be in tonal heaven!

How do you guys find PAB with the Low Plate Classic, do I dare dream for another tonal treat?
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:22 pm

Yeah I have to respectfully disagree with the jazz and FET being a waste. The thing is some of the guys complain about a Strat not pushing the front end hard enough and use a boost pedal. I say, the amp has a pretty good sounding boost pedal built in. :D The 70s circuit guys consider the FET pretty mandatory. Yes with the Jazz switch you loose some gain but that means you can turn up your master. The great thing about Dumble circuits is that there are many different cool sounds you can get in the slightly distorted realm by playing with the different switches. Finally, I really like the deep switch on a Low Plate Classic with the Strat. It sweetens up the high end and fills out the low end. I notice many people when they demo a Dumble with a Strat have the deep switch engaged (Doug Doppler). My $.02.
CW
I concur!

TM
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:22 pm
CW
I concur!

TM
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

Krinkle wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:00 pm
I tried it with the Skyliner and didn't like it. I'm going to try it with the Classic. Anybody try it?

Yes I have. Although not applicable here, another PAB I like is on a skyliner HRM, lifting the HRM tone stack.

TM
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Krinkle, it looks like SSS #2 has the deep switch wired just the same as any of the ODS(that had a deep switch). So you could verify your schematic by looking at the Low Plate Classic Layout. It also looks like the it has a classic tone stack, so the deep switch when wired correctly should have some effect. Your are a better man than me for actually having built a SSS and I have no direct experience with that circuit. It sounds like you are digging the mid boost so maybe your good. As far as PAB, I don't care for it on the clean side of the ODS so I don't know if you will like it in a SSS. However, there are tons of threads about boost ideas that might sound nicer in a clean amp.
CW
Krinkle

Post by Krinkle »

ToneMerc wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:20 am
Krinkle wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:00 pm
I tried it with the Skyliner and didn't like it. I'm going to try it with the Classic. Anybody try it?

Yes I have. Although not applicable here, another PAB I like is on a skyliner HRM, lifting the HRM tone stack.

TM
What did the PAB do with the Classic, increase the gain, increase mids, treble?
Krinkle

Post by Krinkle »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:23 am Krinkle, it looks like SSS #2 has the deep switch wired just the same as any of the ODS(that had a deep switch). So you could verify your schematic by looking at the Low Plate Classic Layout. It also looks like the it has a classic tone stack, so the deep switch when wired correctly should have some effect. Your are a better man than me for actually having built a SSS and I have no direct experience with that circuit. It sounds like you are digging the mid boost so maybe your good. As far as PAB, I don't care for it on the clean side of the ODS so I don't know if you will like it in a SSS. However, there are tons of threads about boost ideas that might sound nicer in a clean amp.
CW
Thanks for the replay Charlie. I am loving the mid boost, just getting greedy now, wondering about the Deep switch and PAB.
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Krinkle, did you use this layout for wiring the deep switch? I don't think it is correct.
CW
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Also, here is M. Hartman's SSS. Notice that he left off the 10k tail. I don't think that is a mistake and maybe it would have more effect. I spoke too soon, I must have a corrupted file. I cant attach the layout but do a search for M. Hartman's SSS and you will see what I mean.
CW
Last edited by Charlie Wilson on Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Krinkle

Post by Krinkle »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:48 am Krinkle, did you use this layout for wiring the deep switch? I don't think it is correct.
CW
I didn't use that specific layout but I'm pretty sure my Deep Switch is wired like that one. I'll double check, but I think it matches the SSS002 schematic. Any idea what's wrong with the layout?
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Yeah the lead coming off of the .01 cap to ground shouldn't be there. Just the 10k to ground.
CW
Krinkle

Post by Krinkle »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:53 am Also, here is M. Hartman's SSS. Notice that he left off the 10k tail. I don't think that is a mistake and maybe it would have more effect. I spoke too soon, I must have a corrupted file. I cant attach the layout but do a search for M. Hartman's SSS and you will see what I mean.
CW
I have MH's SSS layout and the 10k is there. Funny, I get an error when I try to attach it.