SSS002 Deep Switch - Seriously

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Krinkle

Re: SSS002 Deep Switch - Seriously

Post by Krinkle »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:59 am Yeah the lead coming off of the .01 cap to ground shouldn't be there. Just the 10k to ground.
CW
Ok, I missed that, mine is not like that.
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Hmm, maybe it was a mistake that was fixed. Anyway look at any of the 70s ODS or the Low Plate Classic. See if they differ from your schematic.
CW
Krinkle

Post by Krinkle »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:03 am Hmm, maybe it was a mistake that was fixed. Anyway look at any of the 70s ODS or the Low Plate Classic. See if they differ from your schematic.
CW
Unfortunately I already did that. Appreciate the suggestion though, thanks. I'll short my 10k anyways, to see if it makes a difference.
Krinkle

Post by Krinkle »

I changed my volume pot to 1M to get the bright switch/cap to work. Any chance that was the wrong thing to do? I don't have any sim programs, would that value change cause a filter effect and cause the Deep switch to be ineffective? Anybody using a 100k volume pot in an SSS?

I could always strap a 110k resistor across the 1M pot to temporarily bring it down to 100k long enough to check the Deep Switch.
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Krinkle, I just looked at your layout. It seems a little odd to me the way you have the 10k going to the terminal of the mid pot. Just a thought but try running the 10k straight to the ground buss and give the mid pot its own ground. Also, per your layout the 270ks don't look right either. Maybe disregard the 270k part. I thought you had one of the 270ks connecting at the treble pot wiper.
CW
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Also, wire the 270k to the middle of the Rock/Jazz switch, then you can have the Deep switch in both settings.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Aaron wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:30 am Also, wire the 270k to the middle of the Rock/Jazz switch, then you can have the Deep switch in both settings.
Without the Rock/Jazz it would be 1 side to the center lug of the bass pot and the other side to the center lug of the volume pot, and the 10K ground to left lug of Volume pot; correct?
Krinkle

Post by Krinkle »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:47 am Krinkle, I just looked at your layout. It seems a little odd to me the way you have the 10k going to the terminal of the mid pot. Just a thought but try running the 10k straight to the ground buss and give the mid pot its own ground. Also, per your layout the 270ks don't look right either. Maybe disregard the 270k part. I thought you had one of the 270k's connecting at the treble pot wiper.
CW
Hey Charlie, When I cleaned some stuff up I actually moved that resistor ground connection to the ground buss. Yeah, sorry, the connections are hard to see in that layout because I wanted to show the colour coding, and because of that it's not as sharp as black and white. I just double checked and the 270k's are connected correctly unfortunately.
Krinkle

Post by Krinkle »

Aaron wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:30 am Also, wire the 270k to the middle of the Rock/Jazz switch, then you can have the Deep switch in both settings.
Thanks Aaron, if I keep the Deep switch I'll fix that.
Krinkle

Post by Krinkle »

Stupid question. I just listened to a clip of AN's SSS with Mike Herman and he does actually switch the Deep Switch. As Marcus said earlier, it is subtle, to say the least.

It seems to me that if I needed a touch more bass I could just nudge the bass pot (or fiddle with the tone controls in general) and be in exactly the same place. That's what my ears are telling me.

I think I'm just going to pull it out and put in the Mid Boost.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Keep the deep switch and do a footswitchable mid boost.
Krinkle

Post by Krinkle »

Aaron wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:29 pm Keep the deep switch and do a footswitchable mid boost.
I guess I could do that. I will be able to switch 3 things with my final configuration. I want to have foot switchable Reverb and FET, and probably PAB. If I find that I don't like PAB then I could make it foot switchable. But I would have to change something such that Deep switch does a whole lot more than what I heard in the clip, and certainly what I have now.
Krinkle

Post by Krinkle »

Doug Doppler with Henry Kaiser's amp - Deep Switch On, then Off at 3:30. I'm taking it out, that's not doing nearly enough for me to take up that position on the front panel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNSAj6AzWGo

Thanks for all of the replies guys, much appreciated.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Maybe keep the MID in the front and then add a DEEP to the back panel although it would mean a few wires going across

Or hardwire the deep and keep the mid on a switch
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I've always wondered about the FET myself. My guess was that back in the day Dumble didn't like any of the boost pedals so he built one into the amp (just a wild guess mind you). Nowadays there are like TONS of clean boost pedals out there that would do the same job very easily, and could be incorporated into a pedalboard, obviating the need for the FET. What are people's thoughts on that as well? I'm planning a Dumble build after I finish my TW LIverpool, and don't need to build it 100% to a specific standard as much as build an outstanding amp, and learn in the process. I'm likely to start a separate thread as I approach that date, so I'll just slightly derail this one with the FET question :D

~Phil
tUber Nerd!