relay transformer

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

davebolden44

relay transformer

Post by davebolden44 »

Just wondering where you guys are getting your little power transformers to supply your relay boards in an ODS build. I would like one that will fit the pre drilled holes in a CE chassis.
martin manning

Re: relay transformer

Post by martin manning »

Radio Shack was the traditional HAD-approved source. You should be able to find something similar.
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Hammond 186b12. Mouser.
hywelg

Post by hywelg »

When I had my Ceriatone PT go bad I had to install a Hammond 266JB6 to power the relays. Works fine.
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

hywelg wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:04 am When I had my Ceriatone PT go bad I had to install a Hammond 266JB6 to power the relays. Works fine.
Hywel, that may fit in a Ceriatone chassis but not in a CE chassis.
The 186b12 is a tight fit in relation to the PT.
The 266JB6 will not fit with a 100w PT in the CE chassis due to the width of the 266JB6.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

The early amps had the the Triad F-313 or 313X if export. I used a vintage 313 in one of my CE chassis builds and I dont recall having to change the mounting centers. Mouser stocks the 313X, not sure about the 313.

TM
hywelg

Post by hywelg »

Really Erwin? My OTS had a huge cutout Fender twin size, so had to fit a 291FEX which was overkill for a 50 watter and the 266JB6 fitted nice and snug alongside it inside the chassis.

erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

hywelg wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:59 pm Really Erwin? My OTS had a huge cutout Fender twin size, so had to fit a 291FEX which was overkill for a 50 watter and the 266JB6 fitted nice and snug alongside it inside the chassis.

I understand your confusion: In the Ce chassis all cutouts are done more towards the front panel controls, which give more space at the tubes but less space on the other side of the chassis where the relay transformer is.
I can give measurements to clear things up.
davebolden44

Post by davebolden44 »

Thanks for the replies. I may need to investigate further. I ordered all miscellaneous parts from ceriatone,(overtone 100 kit) but I have 2 CE chassis here and I got classictone transformers. My query is will the relay board I receive be setup for a voltage doubler circuit and need a 6v transformer? I have a 12v transformer and can do a bridge rectifier but I dont really want to heavily modify anything. The transformer I have fits in there but the mounting holes are 3/8 off. I made a little bracket to put it in there but I hate how it looks. I will consider all recommendations. I dont even have everything here yet and I am in no big hurry.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

davebolden44 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:59 pm .......can do a bridge rectifier but I dont really want to heavily modify anything. The transformer I have fits in there but the mounting holes are 3/8 off. I made a little bracket to put it in there but I hate how it looks.
Dave, there's assembly and building, drop in fitment certainly is a pleasure but it doesn't always work out that way. So what if the holes don't line up, the mounting centers for the Ceriatone boards most likely won't line up with CE chassis holes. Thus, you will have to drill additional holes for all the boards anyway. Depending upon which OT you are using you might even have to drill additional holes to mount it. Once the chassis is mounted in the head cabinet, only you will know about extra drilled holes and no one else will know unless you tell them :D

TM
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

ToneMerc wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:37 pm
davebolden44 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:59 pm .......can do a bridge rectifier but I dont really want to heavily modify anything. The transformer I have fits in there but the mounting holes are 3/8 off. I made a little bracket to put it in there but I hate how it looks.
Dave, there's assembly and building, drop in fitment certainly is a pleasure but it doesn't always work out that way. So what if the holes don't line up, the mounting centers for the Ceriatone boards most likely won't line up with CE chassis holes. Thus, you will have to drill additional holes for all the boards anyway. Depending upon which OT you are using you might even have to drill additional holes to mount it. Once the chassis is mounted in the head cabinet, only you will know about extra drilled holes and no one else will know unless you tell them :D

TM
agree absolutely, I did a fender bassman from parts at hoffmanamps.com and the PT didn't fit the bolts exactly so I had to drill some more holes to allow it to mount. Nobody will ever see it except the next tech that may have to change out the filter caps in 15-20 years.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
davebolden44

Post by davebolden44 »

ToneMerc wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:37 pm

TM
This I am aware of and I will adapt as necessary. I read somewhere that the boards will fit but I cant prove/disprove that as I dont have them yet.
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Dave: the signal board doesn't fit for sure. Having a Ceriatone Ots on my bench as we speak, I compared it to a board that I made for the CE chassis, NO fit.
davebolden44

Post by davebolden44 »

Bummer. Oh well I will have to adapt.
davebolden44

Post by davebolden44 »

thanks guys, went with the triad 313 fx and will definitely use that one again in the future. Drilled lots of holes too. Its done other than bias/setup and put it in the cabinet. Never in my life heard a d style circuit in person before today. Its definitely for me.