Stvevie Ray Vaughans Dumbles

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Bombacaototal

Re: Stvevie Ray Vaughans Dumbles

Post by Bombacaototal »

On Texas Flood
Bassist Tommy Shannon recalls of the sessions, "It really was just a big warehouse with concrete floors and some rugs thrown down. We just found a little corner, set up in a circle looking at and listening to each other and played like a live band."[5] Vaughan used two Fender Vibroverbs and an 150-watt Dumbleland Special owned by Browne. Engineer and co-producer Richard Mullen says of his production techniques:
“Just one mic on everything. I used two Shure SM57s on his guitar amps—one on a Fender Vibroverb with a 15-inch Altec Lansing speaker, and one on a Dumble 4x12" bottom (with Electro-Voice speakers) connected to a Dumble head. Stevie played through two Vibroverbs, but I only miked one of the speakers in one of them. I positioned the mics about three or four inches off the cabinet at about a 45 degree angle to the cone. The only effect he used was an Ibanez Tube Screamer.”
And some unrelated pics of his gear
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bombacaototal on Tue May 09, 2017 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
67plexi

Post by 67plexi »

The Back
SRV SSS-150 back.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
67plexi

Post by 67plexi »

One More.
SRV AMP1.jpg
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

This was 5 Sep 1983 Berlin. The ODS with SRV and Dumbleland with Shannon

I think the Dumbleland SRV is playing at the Anthem in Houston in 1985 is actually Shannon's one?

One thing that I was wondering, for a guy (Dumble) who makes each amp "specific for the players style" how did SRV go from playing a Bass Dumbleland at "Texas Flood" and ending up with an ODS as his first Dumble amp. These are completely different amps.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

My first pro band were the opening act for SRV and double trouble for the UK leg of the live alive tour in 1988. I had a nice moment when I'd got to the gig early one day to try Tommy's new Hartke bass rig. I was having a play and Chris came up on his drums and joined me, the there was the bang of Stevie plugging in his guitar and he joined me too :D so I was the bass player for those few minutes with chris and SRV. Never thought about it much at the time but obviously since his tragic death a few years later it became a moment to remember. Stevie was LOUD......I think I still have the 1988 Live Alive tour passes stuck on a flight case somewhere.

Marcus
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

norburybrook wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 9:39 am My first pro band were the opening act for SRV and double trouble for the UK leg of the live alive tour in 1988. I had a nice moment when I'd got to the gig early one day to try Tommy's new Hartke bass rig. I was having a play and Chris came up on his drums and joined me, the there was the bang of Stevie plugging in his guitar and he joined me too :D so I was the bass player for those few minutes with chris and SRV. Never thought about it much at the time but obviously since his tragic death a few years later it became a moment to remember. Stevie was LOUD......I think I still have the 1988 Live Alive tour passes stuck on a flight case somewhere.

Marcus
Fascinating story Marcus! Thanks for sharing

You should frame those passes
67plexi

Post by 67plexi »

The Dumble ODS-100 low plate classic, was a loaner from Jackson Browne
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

67plexi wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 4:23 pm The Dumble ODS-100 low plate classic, was a loaner from Jackson Browne
Ah, that nakes sense now! Thanks for sharing
jph118

Post by jph118 »

Bombacaototal wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 3:50 am One thing that I was wondering, for a guy (Dumble) who makes each amp "specific for the players style" how did SRV go from playing a Bass Dumbleland at "Texas Flood" and ending up with an ODS as his first Dumble amp. These are completely different amps.
My understanding was that he tried the Dumbleland in the studio simply because it was there, loved it but borrowed the ODS since it was a true guitar amp, but found it not to his liking... THEN had his first SSS built by HAD based on his love of the Dumbleland bass amp, but voiced more for the guitar's range.
Plexified

Post by Plexified »

Here are a few clips of the Jackson Browns DumbleLand while on sale in Japan played by a popular guitar player over their, kind of short , but he was being 'granted' a test drive and was showing respect getting in and out. Pt 1 & 2 below. Takahiko Nankou

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Dd7bP64QU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC3tzJw3qQw

Next is a pt 1 and 2 with an SRV on the phone interview...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wonLLnblQik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7Ev1gNjaVI

Since he is talking lipstick pickups and Dumble here is a clip of both ... Hope you enjoyed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T_N1RoKKdQ
hitchcaster

Post by hitchcaster »

then the end of the SSS story... amp blew up and he sent it in to dumble to be fixed.. then dumble sent him a bill for phone calls... stevie called him and said MF this bill for phone calls about the SSS repair is for more then i paid for the entire amp! so he told dumble to F off and keep the amp and slammed the phone down..... later stevie ordered a soldano but didn't live long enough to see if that would of made it into is rig...