#183 5th Generation ODS Skyliner. Layout/Schematic Discussion

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

donvan

Re: #183 5th Generation ODS Skyliner. Layout/Schematic

Post by donvan »

I some questions regarding the 4 .01 uF capacitors in the power supply:

1) I've never seen capacitors across each diode in a full wave bridge rectifier. Does anyone know the purpose of these caps? They aren't filter caps.

2) What type of caps are these and what voltage?

Thanks!
Bob Simpson

Post by Bob Simpson »

I believe, the .01 caps across the diodes are to help prevent switching noise from 1N4007-ish diodes. They are ceramic, 1000v, and unnecessary ( overkill? ) with "modern" ultra-fast UF4007 diodes. I think there is a discussion at el34world.com.

Bob Simpson
Please understand that IMO an answer to this question is of no practical relevance at all. - Max
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

#183 5th Generation ODS Skyliner. Layout/Schematic Discussion

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Moving the comments from the files section to a discussion topic. Please remember to discuss and ask questions in the "Discussion" topics and keep the files threads clean of questions and commentary.

This refers to the files topic: http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13095
tUber Nerd!
donvan

Post by donvan »

Bob Simpson wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 2:54 pm I believe, the .01 caps across the diodes are to help prevent switching noise from 1N4007-ish diodes. They are ceramic, 1000v, and unnecessary ( overkill? ) with "modern" ultra-fast UF4007 diodes. I think there is a discussion at el34world.com.

Bob Simpson
Thanks Bob. That makes perfect sense.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: #183 5th Generation ODS Skyliner. Layout/Schematic Discussion

Post by pompeiisneaks »

BTW I should have replied on this too, Bob's 100% right, they're just a protection measure. They may be overkill but those caps are super cheap too, and not a big 'expense'. Yes modern diodes are much safer too, and maybe not as necessary anymore. I had a Vox AC100 that had this setup and I stripped out the board to build a Vox AC100/2 from back in the early 60's Vox Days in the chassis but I kept that diode/cap layout like the original did.

I've also since seen it in other power supplies (not all amp ones) and it seems to be used only sometimes.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!