Larry carlton ported/sealed EVM-12-L cab made

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

norburybrook

Larry carlton ported/sealed EVM-12-L cab made

Post by norburybrook »

Got round to buying some tools this weekend so made this.

Dumble Larry Carlton 1x12 ported Sealed EVM12-L cab. Going to recover my #102 to match.

As this is a sealed cab should it have any kind of internal wadding?

Marcus
DSC_1089.JPG
DSC_1092.JPG
DSC_1093.JPG
DSC_1094.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Guy77

Re: Larry carlton ported/sealed EVM-12-L cab made

Post by Guy77 »

Looks great!
I like the colors you choose. I am looking for VOX grill cloth for a dumble build that I maybe doing soon. Is that brown or black vox cloth and were did you get it?

Cheers

Guy.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Very professional looking cab, that will be a nice looking rig with matching head on top.

Mark
tealsixtysix

Post by tealsixtysix »

Looks great. It's like a Thiele cabinet but maybe a bit bigger?
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Marcus, looks great! Are there drawings or dimensions somewhere for this cab?
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

That looks really good. Also interested in design specs, and tone report when you get it plugged in.
andresound

Post by andresound »

Dimensions/drawings please!
If it sounds good, it is good! Trust your ears
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

martin manning wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 12:59 pm Marcus, looks great! Are there drawings or dimensions somewhere for this cab?
I took everything from this picture and scaled the measurements from the width of my amp which is 20 inches wide in your language :D
cab uncovered.jpg

I think the height was 16 inches and the depth is the same as the amp 10 inches.

ports are 4 inch diameter from tube town Germany.

Any thoughts on internal wadding?

Marcus
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Thanks Marcus. I don't know too much about speaker design, but that is basically a ported bass reflex like the TL808. You can find a build document for that published by EV, and I would follow their recommendations for stuffing.
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Nice cab Marcus! I like the first pic: explosion of tools :D
The ported cabs I have(thiele) dont have wadding. It sounds fine to me.
Doesn't wadding alter the resonance frequency because the internal volume changes?
andresound

Post by andresound »

My 2c worth. I built 2x TL EV cab's and was impressed when loaded with EV. However... the Dumble "rear oval" open back speaker design from this forum sounds much bigger than the theile design. My go to small cab
andresound

Post by andresound »

erwin_ve wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 4:25 pm Nice cab Marcus! I like the first pic: explosion of tools :D
The ported cabs I have(thiele) dont have wadding. It sounds fine to me.
Doesn't wadding alter the resonance frequency because the internal volume changes?
Bass frequencies don't "see" the wadding
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

andresound wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 4:29 pm My 2c worth. I built 2x TL EV cab's and was impressed when loaded with EV. However... the Dumble "rear oval" open back speaker design from this forum sounds much bigger than the theile design. My go to small cab
Andre,

I have done a lot of reading on this. I have long considered a pair of Thiele TL806s for a very compact stereo rig. I have read that they are directional but have a huge, clear sound with exceptional punch. I have EVs and like them. For me, it's not about volume, but the stereo 3D spread and bubble. Now, in a smallish room, an open backed cab(s) can have that music-from-everywhere sound because of room reflections and dispersion. So for you, do you feel that your choice for a D-open back being better for your application is based on the room size or just the aural qualities the D-style open backed design brings versus the Thiele/EV?

What speaker are you using with your Dumble open back?
Last edited by Colossal on Fri May 12, 2017 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

thanks guys,

I have a proper EV thiele cab and this doesn't sound the same. I know it's a similar design but the thiele is more or less a cube and is supposed to have wadding on the back and all sides excluding the port.

this cabinet has a different sound to a thiele and I prefer it, it's easier to mic in the studio/live and has a sound I prefer.To be honest, I think most guitar speaker cab dimensions etc are not that scientific/critical and very tolerant of size, material. I mean look at open fender backed combos, you've basically got a speaker attached to a baffle with random panels on the back. The Marshall 4x12 dimensions were chosen because they could make it from a single 8ftx 4 ft sheet of plywood.

I might try some acoustic wadding just to see, if I do I'll report back.

I'll mention the fact that for speaker cabs (and my amp heads if they're tolexed) there is absolutely no need to do any fancy joints if you're using 18mm(3/4) plywood. I just screwed and glued, the front baffle gives the whole cab rigidity so it's a very simple thing to make with basic hand tools. I used P38 quick dry car body filler to fill over the countersunk screw holes , then a quick sanding and routing of edges.

I found it very therapeutic spending the day making it after a long week in the studio.

Marcus
Last edited by norburybrook on Fri May 12, 2017 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Colossal wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 4:59 pm
andresound wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 4:29 pm My 2c worth. I built 2x TL EV cab's and was impressed when loaded with EV. However... the Dumble "rear oval" open back speaker design from this forum sounds much bigger than the theile design. My go to small cab
Andre,

I have done a lot of reading on this. I have long considered a pair of Thiele TL806s for a very compact stereo rig. I have read that they are directional but have a huge, clear sound with exceptional punch. I have EVs and like them. For me, it's not about volume, but the stereo 3D spread and bubble. Now, in a smallish room, an open backed cab(s) can have that music-from-everywhere sound because of room reflections and dispersion. So for you, do you feel that your choice for a D-open back being better for your application is based on the room size or just the aural qualities the D-style open backed design brings versus the Thiele/EV?
I've got both. The sealed cab gives you that pressure wave push in the trousers that a 4x12 gives you and is friendlier to other band members as the sound is more directional. The oval backed cab is a great alternative, I put celestion classic lead 80's in them ..the 16 ohm version...spent a day with a pile of speakers and that was the best, and the 16 ohm sounded better than the 8 ohm with my #102.

marcus