Larry carlton ported/sealed EVM-12-L cab made

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

andresound

Re: Larry carlton ported/sealed EVM-12-L cab made

Post by andresound »

This is NOT gospel... just my experience and opinion with the brands I mentioned!
If it sounds good, it is good! Trust your ears
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Oh yes, I should have mentionned speaker models, also - but I feel like I am going to have hard times finding the information back.

One more note - assuming Thiele parameters were the same, as a side note - the amp was reportedly not a Dumble, and not a clone either - so maybe this can explain :?
hywelg

Post by hywelg »

I bought one of these when they were about £35 and learnt how to use it. Now its very easy indeed to knock a shell or cab together using it.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axcaliber-do ... jig-502514

Unfortunately they are now over double the price.

norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

that look great, at £35 I'd have bought one definitely.

My screw and glue is working well though so I'm in no immediate hurry to spend needless cash :D

your cab looks great though.

Marcus

P.S. where do you get your ply?
hywelg

Post by hywelg »

by norburybrook

P.S. where do you get your ply?
From B&Q simply because they will cut the sheet free of charge, saves me getting my table saw out and enlisting help to run a heavy sheet through it. I'd prefer 15mm but they only sell 18mm. I use 15mm for the front baffle and 12mm for the rear . Baffle mounts are just softwood strips glued and screwed.

One thing I would recommend though is installing all 8 Tee nuts for the speaker mount. If you only have 4 and strip one you've got a problem. It is possible to replace one but you then risk damaging the grille cloth .

If you're ever passing through Nottingham (ideally on a Monday as we have the rehearsal studio all day so can really crank it) and have a spare hour I'd love to do a comparison to your amp/cab. I love my 2x12 with Emi Red Fang and EV and would like to compare it.