How much is the FET input actually used?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

MakerDP

How much is the FET input actually used?

Post by MakerDP »

Like the subject says... how much does it actually get used on say a #102. If I am after the R.F.-ish tone do I really need to put it into a build?
davebolden44

Re: How much is the FET input actually used?

Post by davebolden44 »

Its not really very nessesary but it is a nice feature. I mostly play through the normal channel but I play humbuckers, I think single coil guys like the fet.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

In a word....NO...... I've not put it in any of my builds. It was originally intended for the electro acoustics of the day.

Just my 2c

Marcus

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Roe

Post by Roe »

isn't a boost pedal better anyway?
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Since using it in a hybrid built and accessible by footswitch I can't live without it anymore.
Using it that way the amp has the whole range: From very light crunch to higher gain tone.
It is a bit noisy but the tone is very tube like.
MakerDP

Post by MakerDP »

Roe wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 4:10 pm isn't a boost pedal better anyway?
That was going to be my next question. If mostly just single-coil guys like it, or if I liked it with my Tele but not my Pearly Gates equipped guitar, wouldn't a good boost pedal make more sense? Especially if it is a little noisy?

I absolutely love the boost on the Full Drive 3 and it's right there on my pedalboard where it belongs. It's also available alone as the FB2 I think it is.

It simplifies the build somewhat is the only reason I'm asking. I'm hoping this summer I can finally build one.
davebolden44

Post by davebolden44 »

Overdrive specials are bitchin through the normal channel, you wont miss it.
MakerDP

Post by MakerDP »

Thanks for the input everyone.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

I love the FET with the early circuit with the funky OD entrance. The later circuits I can do without it. Athough, I do like the FET in my 183 build as it has a low gain 4416A, which works well with both humbucker and single coils as its a nice clean boost.

TM
davebolden44

Post by davebolden44 »

this topic had got me wondering a little so I played earlier today through the fet for a while. I noticed that the harmonic feedback squealy thing was achieved much easier through this channel. I dont know if this holds true for others or if I have mine jacked up too much or not but I reaallly like it
MakerDP

Post by MakerDP »

davebolden44 wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 10:56 pm this topic had got me wondering a little so I played earlier today through the fet for a while. I noticed that the harmonic feedback squealy thing was achieved much easier through this channel. I dont know if this holds true for others or if I have mine jacked up too much or not but I reaallly like it
Hmm... that gets me thinking again. To me that's part of the "Dumble Sound." I love doing that with my ZenDrive clone I built... getting it right there and then cutting off the note.

I should probably just go ahead and include it. It's not THAT much more complicated to add. Worst case is it doesn't get used much.
splgeo

Post by splgeo »

Dont forget if you are going to build an amp without the FET your v1 voltages are going to be alittle higher.
JD0x0

Post by JD0x0 »

It's footswitchable on my low plate Glaswerks and is actually quite useful, IMO. The 70's circuit doesn't bark as easily as the later circuits, on the OD channel, the FET pushes it into heavy OD nicely. I almost never use the FET input on my 80's ODS, but if it was on a footswitch, too, it'd probably be useful. Not something I usually want to have 'always on' though
It's true i've lost my marbles and i cant remember where i put them
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

splgeo wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 11:31 am Dont forget if you are going to build an amp without the FET your v1 voltages are going to be alittle higher.
just add a 150-220k resistor to ground at the end of your dropping string to bring voltages back to 'normal' if they're too high :D

M
Trainwreck

Post by Trainwreck »

I use mine and I like it for different occasions!!! Rock on!
Blues is Good for the Soul!