A couple years late to the party - finally built a Tweedle Dee..

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ToneMerc

Re: A couple years late to the party - finally built a Tweedle Dee..

Post by ToneMerc »

sonicmojo wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:13 pm
Roe wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:47 am thanks! I've built a 5e3 but didn't care too much for it. perhaps this is better
I built both circuits side by side with same transformers(Classictone), resistor types, tube types, etc. Don't expect a big difference. At least in my case and freshly built they were very similar sounding. A little more high end chime through the TD, perhaps, IMO.
Same here, I wasn't really impressed when I built mine. When you study the circuit differences, it's really not much change in topology. I have said this before, just because HAD touched or modded it doesn't necessarily make it magic.

I think some folks may have missed that he's also using an OD pedal in that demo, at least it's in the heading anyway.

TM
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

At Christmas time I had 3 builds and a rework going. Two 5E3s and two of these building as gifts. I found the Tweedle Dee to have a little more head room and a bit glassier high end(probably the JJs vs older type short bottles). The biggest difference for me was the noise floor. Both the Tweedle Dees were dead quiet(the extra filtering?) - both 5E3 deluxes had some 60 cycle hum. One more pronounced than the other. Drove me nuts......
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

Yeah, I found it did a bit extra headroom although I wandered off the range and used Tweed Pro iron and 5881's.

TM
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

ToneMerc wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:34 pm Yeah, I found it did a bit extra headroom although I wandered off the range and used Tweed Pro iron and 5881's.

TM
Been planning to convert one of them to a "ProLuxe" like build. You end up liking that more? What iron did you use?
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

stelligan wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:57 pm

Been planning to convert one of them to a "ProLuxe" like build. You end up liking that more? What iron did you use?
Yes, Mercury Mag.....here's the first one.

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 8&p=305942

TM
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

ToneMerc wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:03 am
Yes, Mercury Mag.....here's the first one.

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 8&p=305942

TM
Thanks for the link.! Gonna cobble this one together with what I have. A tweed Bassman chassis, Bassman like PT + tube rectifier xformer and Magnetic Components tweed Pro OT. Still need to rework the filters to tweedle values- may just change a few things, dunno yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jph118

Post by jph118 »

sonicmojo wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:13 pm I built both circuits side by side with same transformers(Classictone), resistor types, tube types, etc. Don't expect a big difference. At least in my case and freshly built they were very similar sounding. A little more high end chime through the TD, perhaps, IMO.
Did a similar comparison myself... actually got much closer to HAD's voltages with a JJ 5Y3, whereas the GZ34 put it up too high for my tastes (420v on the plates), and yes def cleaner highs and slightly tighter bottom, but i preferred the "browner" lower voltages.

(Ended up with fixed bias and tremolo (6G2-style) when all was said & done... prob my best-sounding amp, replaced a boutique clone and have already made a few for friends)
Mondoslug

Post by Mondoslug »

ToneMerc wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:58 pm
I think some folks may have missed that he's also using an OD pedal in that demo, at least it's in the heading anyway.

TM
Hi, I only used the Abunai2 pedal at the very end of the vid, the last little 10 sec lick.
hitchcaster

Re: Even latter than you...

Post by hitchcaster »

ChopSauce wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 5:36 pm Thanks for the video. I am (even more) full of envy, now!

My main concern is finding the right power transformer, here, in France, without the cost of having one shipped from the US... :?
(... & I am not sure at how a diode rectified one would sound.)

You do get the right voltages (~400V B+) on yours, of course, didn't you ?
i had one shipped from mercury mag overseas... its really the best option.. mulit tap and universal power... so you can try different voltages and it will work with any input voltage.. i think i liked the lower tap on mine..
ChopSauce

Slightly out of topic, though

Post by ChopSauce »

hitchcaster wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:20 am
ChopSauce wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 5:36 pm Thanks for the video. I am (even more) full of envy, now!

My main concern is finding the right power transformer, here, in France, without the cost of having one shipped from the US... :?
(... & I am not sure at how a diode rectified one would sound.)

You do get the right voltages (~400V B+) on yours, of course, didn't you ?
i had one shipped from mercury mag overseas... its really the best option.. mulit tap and universal power... so you can try different voltages and it will work with any input voltage.. i think i liked the lower tap on mine..
Thanks for the information! I have been aware of people buying Mercury Mag output transformers, too - as these might be more critical, tonewise.

Anyway, afterwards, I no more see the point of building a perfect clone at such expense (plus the shipping, plus the taxes... ) - from outside the US. I would rather go with the inmadout set sold by tube-town, in Germany - if I were to build something "à la" Tweedle D. - I guess.
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

OK. Finally finished my own Tweedle and nobody gets this one but me. Used the rest of my solder today to finish it. Powered up this am and sounds great right out of the gate and dead silent at idle. Not sure that the Rocket 50 will stay but, I am giving it a workout/break-in. Thought I would include pics of the one I built for sis at Christmas. It is in an Epiphone galaxie cab with 10 inch speaker and 5Y3 rectifier with old Magnavox branded 6V6. Sounds lika a million bucks and the reason I built me one that and up with someone else - so, I built another! Don't have gut shots of the one in the clip and Andy probably won't let me fiddle with it any more. I cannibalized the tube from V1 and it lives in this Tweed combo.

Any way - here are some guts and outside shots. Got sister's back to make a proper faceplate. My Tweed is getting a cool badge that brother made, I am stoked with this combo. Clips of both these to come in the next couple days.
top.JPG
bigguts.JPG
badge.JPG
both.JPG
lilguts.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Nice [emoji16]

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Here is a clip of sis playing her 10"Tweedle Dee. She found an Epi Les Paul Junior at a garage sale for $25 bucks and gigged it that night. Finally has a face panel..

http://luckystiffs.net/junior.mp4
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

That guitar seems well worth the 25$ she paid for :!:

I'm curious at which speaker is inside her combo: the original one?
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

ChopSauce wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:41 am I'm curious at which speaker is inside her combo: the original one?

A 10" Celestion "Ten 30"