A couple years late to the party - finally built a Tweedle Dee..

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ChopSauce

Re: A couple years late to the party - finally built a Tweedle Dee..

Post by ChopSauce »

stelligan wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:06 am
ChopSauce wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:41 am I'm curious at which speaker is inside her combo: the original one?

A 10" Celestion "Ten 30"

Thx for the info! I definitely should buy and try one of those, does it seem 8)
stelligan

Hands are working again. My final Tweedle is nearly done.

Post by stelligan »

After 3 surgeries on my right hand, I am finally back to 90 percent.

Finishing up another Tweedle Dee - then moving on to a Vox-like Foxy 18 build.

This one is in a Vibro Champ chassis and a RedPlate cab from Reverb I bought on the cheap. Fits like a glove, bolt spacing and everything. Just waiting on chassis straps and bolts. Going to reprint another faceplate with some edits. Fitted with a jumper switch to gang the channels together. Not crazy about the Rocket speaker but it's the only thing I have that will fit given the OT placement(may move that).
IMG_7391.JPG
IMG_7392.JPG
IMG_7396.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Looks very nice, and good to hear you are getting back to form. What's the story on the gold grille badge?
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Thanks Martin

See below
Last edited by stelligan on Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

martin manning wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:30 pm Looks very nice, and good to hear you are getting back to form. What's the story on the gold grille badge?
Thanks Martin. Yes - I am very happy to be using my hands again with minimal pain.

My brother is a drummer and a jeweler. He made me some badges a while back. see this thread: https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29976
The process is done in CAD and he has a contact that 3D prints them in plastic. The blank is then used as a casting slug - but makes a decent badge on it's own with a bit of a paint job. And WAY cheaper than gold plated silver......

He has also taken up engraving rather seriously - see this thread: https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=30965

If you need contact info you can reach him through this site and say brother Dave sent you. https://www.jcdesigns.rocks/

Cheers!
Last edited by stelligan on Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Ah yes, I recall marveling over the work in those photos. Thanks!
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Those badges look amazing! Your grill cloth colour goes really good with the tolex on the cabinet!

Cheers!
Guy
talbany

Post by talbany »

Dave
Love it! Great work and dig those Rocket 50's

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Guy77 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:06 pm Those badges look amazing! Your grill cloth colour goes really good with the tolex on the cabinet!

Cheers!
Guy
talbany wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:55 pm Dave
Love it! Great work and dig those Rocket 50's

Tony
Thanks for checking it out guys. I really like these Tweed amps. Takes me back to when I was first gigging for a living. Had a narrow panel Bassman and Deluxe. Simple is good. And sound so damn good with Stratocasters.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Very nice amp, Dave! Looks sharp. How does that Rocket 50 sound with the Tweed?
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Colossal wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:37 am Very nice amp, Dave! Looks sharp. How does that Rocket 50 sound with the Tweed?
Jury is still out.I tried this same speaker in the first one I did because of the original Charlie pics - then yanked it out immediately. Went to a G1265 eventually after a C Rex. This is the only speaker that fits in this cab with that OT being smack in the middle. I have about 1/4" that I can nudge it toward back of chassis. I may have to move it to the left side under the circuit board. Any cons to that placement?

Anyway - my plan is to play the shit out of it and give it a chance to break in. Basically un-played. Seems a little harsh in the high mids. Got the tone knob down to around 4 on the Strat bridge pickup and sounds OK.

Love the Tweedle into a TL box with 12L.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

stelligan wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:53 amJury is still out.I tried this same speaker in the first one I did because of the original Charlie pics - then yanked it out immediately. Went to a G1265 eventually after a C Rex. This is the only speaker that fits in this cab with that OT being smack in the middle. I have about 1/4" that I can nudge it toward back of chassis. I may have to move it to the left side under the circuit board. Any cons to that placement?

Anyway - my plan is to play the shit out of it and give it a chance to break in. Basically un-played. Seems a little harsh in the high mids. Got the tone knob down to around 4 on the Strat bridge pickup and sounds OK.

Love the Tweedle into a TL box with 12L.
Thanks for the review, Dave. Interesting. Yeah, maybe that Rocket needs a bit more breaking in to give up the goods. I really like a Celestion Blue in a Tweed circuit modified for a tighter low end. I think I might want a bit firmer speaker if the amp was stock.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

I ended up after a lot of speaker testing with my Tweedle dee going with a Celestion Alnico cream. Beautiful speaker and at 90w has loads of headroom.

I didn't care for it with the EVM12 , a speaker I love with ODS amps by the way.

Tweedle dee is a great amp indeed. Can be too bottom heavy if you're using it with anything other than single coils and NOT as a combo format.

I've just done a Kemper pack of mine :D

https://www.marcuscliffe.com/tweedle-de

M
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

norburybrook wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:19 pm Tweedle dee is a great amp indeed. Can be too bottom heavy if you're using it with anything other than single coils and NOT as a combo format.
Yep. Humbuckers really take these over the top. Fun for a few minutes of RAWK then the parties over...
Stratocaster heaven, though. Really the perfect amount of gain for that guitar.

Just realized I may not be giving this speaker a fair shot. Just noticed I still have the ratty EHX tubes in the preamp from power up. Will roll some decent tubes in and report back..... :roll: