A couple years late to the party - finally built a Tweedle Dee..

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

stelligan

A couple years late to the party - finally built a Tweedle Dee..

Post by stelligan »

Thanks Charlie W. and all for the documentation and info on this amp. Old D'Lite chassis, Magnetic components PT, resurrected Mercury OT from a Crema Wheat, Celestion Gold. + Somebody that can play his ass off...

mhartman

Re: A couple years late to the party - finally built a Tweedle Dee..

Post by mhartman »

Nice work. Sounds great!
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

sounds lovely. where's the reverb and trem coming from?

I've thought about building one of these for a while.

Marcus
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

norburybrook wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 10:46 am sounds lovely. where's the reverb and trem coming from?
Thanks! I believe he uses a Line6 m9. He is a pedal guy and believes this amp likes pedals better than his 5E3. Probably a function of the extra headroom.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

stelligan wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 11:47 am
norburybrook wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 10:46 am sounds lovely. where's the reverb and trem coming from?
Thanks! I believe he uses a Line6 m9. He is a pedal guy and believes this amp likes pedals better than his 5E3. Probably a function of the extra headroom.
LOL, line 6......people seem to look down their nose at line 6 products but I've got an M9 and an M5 on different boards and they're great :D

Nice amp, I like the red tolex too.

M
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

norburybrook wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 2:27 pm LOL, line 6......people seem to look down their nose at line 6 products but I've got an M9 and an M5 on different boards and they're great :D

Nice amp, I like the red tolex too.

M
Thanks! Line 6 -If it sounds good - it is good. Andy could make a toaster sound good. Unfair representation. When/if I get the amp back - will post a dry clip with my sorry ass at the plank. 8)

**Correction** Heard from the source that the effects(excluding OD pedal) were DAW plugins. EchoBoy, Tremulator, Valhalla reverb....
Last edited by stelligan on Mon May 29, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChopSauce

Even latter than you...

Post by ChopSauce »

Thanks for the video. I am (even more) full of envy, now!

My main concern is finding the right power transformer, here, in France, without the cost of having one shipped from the US... :?
(... & I am not sure at how a diode rectified one would sound.)

You do get the right voltages (~400V B+) on yours, of course, didn't you ?
mojotom

Re: Even latter than you...

Post by mojotom »

ChopSauce wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 5:36 pm Thanks for the video. I am (even more) full of envy, now!

My main concern is finding the right power transformer, here, in France, without the cost of having one shipped from the US... :?
(... & I am not sure at how a diode rectified one would sound.)

You do get the right voltages (~400V B+) on yours, of course, didn't you ?

You should be able to find a good set at Tubetown or tube amp doctor, shipping is very fast to France, even quicker than ordering something in France ;)
Plus it will be easier to find a 240v power transformer here in Europe rather than trying to find an export PT in the US.

Si tu veux commander aux US Mojotone propose de bons transfos, tu devrais aussi y trouver ton bonheur.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

or contact InMadOut transformers in Italy they'll make you anything you want. They also carry sets of transformers/chokes at a discounted price.

I now use them for all my Dumble builds as I get them to tap an extra secondary for the relays rather than having a separate transformer , they've been great.

M

p.s. be aware their fender twin mans transformer isn't a standard size for mounting holes.
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

My bad :oops:

It looks like the GZ34 pulls out more voltage - as per https://robrobinette.com/How_The_5E3_Deluxe_Works.htm - hence giving the expected voltages by itself, right?

So, normally I should be done with almost any (eg : Hammond from Tube-Town) replacement transformer capable of producing roughly around 320V.

And yes, I already had some backup plan (namely a custom order at ESO, in France) anyway, thanks!

NB: the demo video is too short. I have to repeat it again and again :mrgreen:
Mondoslug

Post by Mondoslug »

Hey now…greetings! Me playing the pretty red amp. Thanks & thanks stelligan!

The Verb, Delay & Trem is coming from Pro Tools after the fact. I know that’s not everybody’s favorite cup of tea but hey that’s what makes the world go around. The amp sounds great DRY also! :) I really wasn’t setting out to do a demo for demo’s sake…just liked playing through it a lot and that’s what came out. Wish I could build ‘em like you guys though!
Roe

Post by Roe »

any schematic available?
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Roe wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:51 am any schematic available?
Roe

Post by Roe »

thanks! I've built a 5e3 but didn't care too much for it. perhaps this is better
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
sonicmojo

Post by sonicmojo »

Roe wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:47 am thanks! I've built a 5e3 but didn't care too much for it. perhaps this is better
I built both circuits side by side with same transformers(Classictone), resistor types, tube types, etc. Don't expect a big difference. At least in my case and freshly built they were very similar sounding. A little more high end chime through the TD, perhaps, IMO.
---------
Bryan