Re: Monkeymatic ODS #183

Post by dcribbs1412 »

Great looking build xtian, congrats!
Like to here how you like it live.

D
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

PanelCraft is great. Steve is currently cutting the faceplate for the rocket amp I finished a while ago.
Really nice lead dress xtian!

Cheers
Guy
Last edited by Guy77 on Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

Sweet build!

TM
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

Man! That is nice xtian.
Very well done.
Why Aye Man
xtian

Post by xtian »

Amp performed very well last night. Outdoor show, playing in concrete bandshell, got to play at a decent volume. Chassis got very hot to the touch--90 degrees ambient--but nothing burned, logos on EL34s still nice and new looking.

But I thought I'd cool the bias a bit and see if it still sounds good. And here's where I'm lodging my complaint. Despite the externally accessible bias test points and bias pot, the pot is actually NOT accessible without burning your hand by reaching between two power tubes. I'll have to remove the chassis from the cabinet each time I want to adjust.

So if you're building using the CE style chassis, keep this in mind. Next time, I'd mount the bias pot on the rear panel between the IEC power inlet and the fuse holder.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

xtian wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:27 pm And here's where I'm lodging my complaint. Despite the externally accessible bias test points and bias pot, the pot is actually NOT accessible without burning your hand by reaching between two power tubes. I'll have to remove the chassis from the cabinet each time I want to adjust.

So if you're building using the CE style chassis, keep this in mind. Next time, I'd mount the bias pot on the rear panel between the IEC power inlet and the fuse holder.
You might consider moving the pot to the back panel next time you have the chassis out.

That's a nifty-lloking yellow board in there... 8)
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

xtian wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:27 pmDespite the externally accessible bias test points and bias pot, the pot is actually NOT accessible without burning your hand by reaching between two power tubes. I'll have to remove the chassis from the cabinet each time I want to adjust.

HAD never intended for the bias to be adjusted that way, as there were no test jacks included on the originals. The jacks would need to be located on the back panel as well to make it really user friendly.
drew

Post by drew »

I wonder if you could buy or make a special tool along the lines of this: https://www.amazon.com/10mm-Honda-Valve ... B004QK2APS ?
Mr. dB

Post by Mr. dB »

xtian wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:27 pm Amp performed very well last night. Outdoor show, playing in concrete bandshell, got to play at a decent volume. Chassis got very hot to the touch--90 degrees ambient--but nothing burned, logos on EL34s still nice and new looking.

But I thought I'd cool the bias a bit and see if it still sounds good. And here's where I'm lodging my complaint. Despite the externally accessible bias test points and bias pot, the pot is actually NOT accessible without burning your hand by reaching between two power tubes. I'll have to remove the chassis from the cabinet each time I want to adjust.

Or use a pot with a slotted shaft so you can turn it with a flat head screwdriver.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

xtian wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:27 pm Amp performed very well last night. Outdoor show, playing in concrete bandshell, got to play at a decent volume. Chassis got very hot to the touch--90 degrees ambient--but nothing burned, logos on EL34s still nice and new looking.

I've never run into a problem in the CE chassis when using the larger 3/8 bushing pot shaft and a pot adjustment tool or slim flat blade screwdriver, even with the fat bottle 6CA7. At that location you are asking to get to get burned using the mini AB locking pot and having to remove its small locking nut for adjustment.

TM
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

Nice looking build!
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
stephenl

Post by stephenl »

Great looking amp. Your attention to detail is impressive.

What kind of hookup wire did you use, TopCoat?
Steve
xtian

Post by xtian »

Thanks, Steve. Yes, wire is topcoat from Mojotone.
xtian

Post by xtian »

I have a ground issue with my switching system. It's a bit noisy (hum) when OD is engaged, and much noisier when the footpedal is attached. Currently, the +5v/0v leads from the 5v PSU are connected to the relay boards and to the switching DIN jack, but I do not have the 0v return connected to the chassis anywhere. What's best practice here?

EDIT: The DC from the 5v PSU is currently reading 1.5v/-3.5v WRT chassis. I tried grounding the 0v lead to chassis, and that gets me a significant HUM in the output.

I just tried grounding the 0v lead from the switching PSU to chassis, and my jumper wire heated up quickly--so there's quite a bit of current flowing.

What did I do wrong?
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

xtian wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:02 pm I have a ground issue with my switching system. It's a bit noisy (hum) when OD is engaged, and much noisier when the footpedal is attached. Currently, the +5v/0v leads from the 5v PSU are connected to the relay boards and to the switching DIN jack, but I do not have the 0v return connected to the chassis anywhere. What's best practice here?

EDIT: The DC from the 5v PSU is currently reading 1.5v/-3.5v WRT chassis. I tried grounding the 0v lead to chassis, and that gets me a significant HUM in the output.

I just tried grounding the 0v lead from the switching PSU to chassis, and my jumper wire heated up quickly--so there's quite a bit of current flowing.

What did I do wrong?
I can't quite tell from your photo, but does the PT you are using to power the relay board have a centertap? If it does and the centertap is grounded, it probably smoked the bridge rectifier on the board. The PS board should only have a non-centertapped AC supply.

If the transformer is not centertapped and correctly supplying the board, measure the AC voltage going in and the DC voltage coming out of the rectifier (at the 1000uF cap). Lift the DC supply to the relay boards, floating the supply, and then measure the DC output from the PS board. With the supply floating you shoud see 4.99-5.03VDC out...if the board is working correctly.