Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

norburybrook

Re: Bandmaster Ultra Phonix Amp

Post by norburybrook »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:26 pm
norburybrook wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:36 am
Charlie Wilson wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:24 pm Hello, those yellow bands on the slope resistors are 4, so 47k slopes. Probably larger than 1k5 for power tube grids. So this is not a modded Bandmaster, its a Bluesmaster(clean) built into a Bandmaster chassis. So much for being a " one of a kind prototype". :?
CW
Charlie, having just built another bluesmaster, why do you say this is one? I can see quite a few variations in resistor and cap values from the BM I built compared to this.

Bluesmaster values: Cathodes-4.7uF 2k2/4.7 1k8 and the plates 150-120k on V1 for example. Just curious :D

Marcus
Hello Marcus, Yeah your right those are not exactly Bluesmaster values but they are close enough that I would call it more of a tweeked Bluesmaster than a modded Bandmaster. What I'm really responding to though, is the little note Dumble put on the amp saying no one can look inside the amp because it is a one of a kind prototype.
CW

Thanks Charlie,

Makes sense, so...one could easily change a regular ODS Bluesmaster to these values if you fancied experimenting. I've a feeling the clean would be great but it would compromise the OD sound.

M
talbany

Post by talbany »

From what I remember?.. The Bassman OT was part of the UP mod/upgrade on all UP amps Howie did on the B-Masters :D
Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
Mark

Post by Mark »

That's what I remember too. The Bassman transformers are popular with HAD.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
JD0x0

Post by JD0x0 »

10thTx wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:35 am Corrected schematic.

With respect, 10thtx
I tried the .022 across the 100k of the optocoupler and it gives me back the 'tick/thud' in my amp. Without the cap, it's quiet. I tried a .01uF to see if the smaller value would help, but that ticks as well.
It's true i've lost my marbles and i cant remember where i put them
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Hello, I don't think the trem roach in that photo is the original one. The way it is crimped makes me think that it is a newer part. Having used some of the newer optocouplers in vintage amps, they don't sound the same. They are a bit harder and stronger. Maybe those caps are there to smooth things out a little and make it sound more vintage.
CW
hitchcaster

Post by hitchcaster »

does anyone know what this yellow wire is he uses in all the "mod" amps? and why? hmmmm.... i know he changed the lead dress a little but it must be more than that.
FuzzFaceBuilder

Post by FuzzFaceBuilder »

22AWG solid core PTFE that comes in all kinds of colors.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Ft-20-Awg-Solid-Core-silver-Plated-600V-Teflon-Wire-Audio-Tube-Amplifier/173399132657?epid=2255997434&hash=item285f64c9f1:g:A04AAOSwM4xXYIDP

hitchcaster wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:14 am does anyone know what this yellow wire is he uses in all the "mod" amps? and why? hmmmm.... i know he changed the lead dress a little but it must be more than that.
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Not a big deal but Dumble typically uses PVC hook up wire and its usually 20 gauge. Sometimes he will use Teflon on high B+ wires like the power tube screens. My guess is that the wire in the photo is decent quality yellow PVC 20 gauge style 1007.
CW
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:21 am Not a big deal but Dumble typically uses PVC hook up wire and its usually 20 gauge. Sometimes he will use Teflon on high B+ wires like the power tube screens. My guess is that the wire in the photo is decent quality yellow PVC 20 gauge style 1007.
CW
I've been trying to find some good quality 20 AWG solid core, PVC insulated hook up wire like the ones HAD used. From what I could find most seem 300V rated? Is this correct?

For filaments I am thinking of using the following (stranded 22AWG). https://modulusamplification.com/Cable- ... 43463.aspx

From an old post the following cable was mentioned 602-1563-100-01 but 100ft per colour is a bit too much for me. I think I need no more than 100ft per amp but I would like to have at least 5 or more colours.
https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/ ... LaCRO7w%3D

Just wondering where the EU and UK folks are sourcing their hook up cables from.
Synchu

Post by Synchu »

100ft per amp might be a bit too much :) Didn't do the math, but probably a third or quarter of that will be sufficient.

I am using rapidonline.com, farnell.com, Tube Town and some others. All work well.

Niki
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Synchu wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:44 am 100ft per amp might be a bit too much :) Didn't do the math, but probably a third or quarter of that will be sufficient.

I am using rapidonline.com, farnell.com, Tube Town and some others. All work well.

Niki
Mike at Modulus amps has a good stock that is sold in small quantities i think it's all stranded though. I get my solid core from Tube town they have a large variety of cable.

i use Mouser as well for hard to find things.

:D
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

norburybrook wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:23 am
Synchu wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:44 am 100ft per amp might be a bit too much :) Didn't do the math, but probably a third or quarter of that will be sufficient.

Niki
Mike at Modulus amps has a good stock that is sold in small quantities i think it's all stranded though. I get my solid core from Tube town they have a large variety of cable.

i use Mouser as well for hard to find things.

:D
Thanks for the feedback Niki, Yes maybe 100ft will be a bit too much.

Thanks for the tips Marcus, last time I got my cables from ampmaker but they seem to have closed the shop for a year.

Yes I got these cables from Mike at Modulus https://modulusamplification.com/Cable- ... 43463.aspx

They are 22 AWG and indeed stranded. Specs are below:
CSA - 0.5mm2
Conductor AWG - 22
Current Rating - 11A
O/D - 2.6mm
Conductor Strands - 16@0.2mm
Voltage ratings - 600v to earth, 1000v between conductors
I am thinking of using them for filaments for my 50W/60W amp, unless anyone recomends me otherwise.

As far as Tube Town I am thinking of getting these for hook-ups on everything else: https://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/Cable ... :3547.html
I think 0.8mm would be equivalent to 20AWG, correct?

Specs below

solid tinned copper wire
Wire diameter: 0.8 mm
Cross-section: 0.5 mm²
Outer diameter: 1.4 mm
PVC insulation
Rated voltage: max.: 900 V
Temperature range: –15 °C to +70 °C
Length: 3 m
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

yes, that's what i use.

M
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

norburybrook wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:58 pm yes, that's what i use.

M
Perfect! Thanks
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Not to derail but this is good stuff here in the states... https://www.nteinc.com/wire/WHS_Series.php?a=6

You can get it for less than $3 for a 25' roll here locally. I buy 1000' and load 100' spools with it. They fit my spool rack. Good stuff, PVC too.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo