new build: 50w Bluesmaster HRM combo

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

martin manning

Re: new build: 50w Bluesmaster HRM combo

Post by martin manning »

Got a photo of your switch wiring? Also, do both boost and OD come on when the relays are grounded by the switches? You will have to be consistent with the foot switch wiring if you want the LED's to work correctly.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

martin manning wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:56 am Got a photo of your switch wiring? Also, do both boost and OD come on when the relays are grounded by the switches? You will have to be consistent with the foot switch wiring if you want the LED's to work correctly.
ah..hadn't though of that.....I rewired one of the switches the opposite way round and they're both now working the same......However it's possible one's grounded and one isn't...I'll find out when I make the footswitch......

I'd wired everything exactly as in the talbany BM layout. I used your relay board drawings to make boards and did hard wire connections to the eyelets.

M
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

finished the cabinet today.

It's very hot an humid here in the UK at the moment and it made the tolex and glue behave rather strangely so I'm not 100% happy with my tolexing on this. the front top cutout hasn't stuck well in parts and wrinkled in others , problem was once the wood and tolex made contact if you pulled it back to redo it all the glue pulled away from the wood and made a mess or conversely it stuck so hard the plastic top coat pulled away from the fabric backing!!! I think in future I'll use heavier duty rough tolex and the stuff I've got is very thin and unforgiving.

just have to make a footswitch now and put some 3/4 x1/8 aluminium strip on the cross bar and she's done. oh, and I need to label the back panel, not sure whether to do hand paint with a white pen, or dymo label.....thoughts?

well, it started as a Peavey Triumph Combo and the guts went into making my wonderland and the cab has made this, so all in all a good bit of recycling.

so 50w Bluesmaster ODS -HRM combo with old Mullard EL34's.............it's very LOUD..................I've used a Peavey Scorpion speaker as it sounded very good and it's very light weight. The whole thing is very portable indeed.
DSC_1310.JPG
DSC_1309.JPG
DSC_1308.JPG

M
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by norburybrook on Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

duplicate
gz34

Post by gz34 »

Looks good marcus, how does it sound, what's the od like compared to a 102 for example?
Terry.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

thanks Terry,

It's flippin' LOUD....as I said it's a lot louder than the 100w Wonderland I built recently.

The OD and boost are similar but different to a #102, I would say they're more like the robben Ford 'talk to your Daughter' sound than the #102 he uses now. Bit more Marshall type gain. Clean is nice too.

Need to play it in for a while and get a feel for it as I'm using old valves I had lying around , they may be old and knackered but they're quiet and non microphonic so what the hell :D

it's been a real parts bin special this one.....it is whisper quiet though so despite the fact it's like a dogs dinner inside it doesn't seem to affect things in a negative way.

just waiting for the star quad cable to come so I can make a footswitch and cable, then decide on label or hand painted rear panel.

M
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Nice one Marcus. Also, with the tolex in the corners, the glue can sometimes soften and stretch the tolex.

Is that another donor Peavey in the background?

Aaron
drew

Post by drew »

norburybrook wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:16 pm
I need to label the back panel, not sure whether to do hand paint with a white pen, or dymo label.....thoughts?
I've used a Brother P-Touch label maker that plugs into a PC via a USB port to make some decent looking amp and pedal markings, using either black-on-clear or white-on-clear label stock. You can use any font you have on the PC, insert images, and get a WYSIWYG view of the thing before you print it.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Dymo thermal labels are neat, but remember that they're thermal! I put such on back of chassis, and if the chassis gets hot enough, the labels discolor.

Now, Dymo mechanical labels, like Ken used on Trainwreck amps, won't discolor.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Aaron wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:35 am Nice one Marcus. Also, with the tolex in the corners, the glue can sometimes soften and stretch the tolex.

Is that another donor Peavey in the background?

Aaron
well spotted......yes a 100w 2x 12 combo......the iron from the Triumph sounds great in the wonderland so this has the same -ish transformers and reverb tank and a set of 4x 6L6's all for £90 :D

. I think I'm going to try and use the cabinet to make a 2x12 alnico gold/blue cab for my rocker/z Wreck. Once it's stripped it's not too hard to add a back panel etc. helps with my tolexing practice too.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

OK, update:

I've put a whole new set of JJ's in, pre and power valves, 6L6's and the amp sounds a whole lot better, as I remembered my old BM.

I've set the OD trim and the HRM all by ear as it's in a small combo excessive bass isn't an issue so it's set to what sounds good with the cab and speakers I'm using. I removed the peavey Scorpion as once I'd really tried it properly I didn't like it. I've put an EVM12 force in there now which is great.

I've also today added a 9v fx pedal socket on the back. I just added an extra 9v regulator in line with the 5v one for the relays . I didn't connect the earth on the socket as the pedal will earth through the send/return jacks and by doing so not cause an earth loop.
DSC_1313.JPG
DSC_1312.JPG
my footswitch cable is coming this week so I'll get on with that, however I've a feeling I might have to remove the relay board as I can see how I've got the switches working one is grounding to be on the other is grounding to be off which I think will mean the LED's wont work as expected on one of them.

Marcus
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

martin manning wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:56 am Got a photo of your switch wiring? Also, do both boost and OD come on when the relays are grounded by the switches? You will have to be consistent with the foot switch wiring if you want the LED's to work correctly.
RELAYS!!!!! argh!!!!

so I spent this morning reversing the diode and wiring to the OD and setting the switch on the back, back to how it is in the layout with both grounds on the same side.

It was incredibly difficult to get to things as i'd used solid wire which of course means nothing moves when it's all connected so it's very hard to work in such a tight space with wire coming on from underneath a board. I've managed to burn some wires and one of the relays in the process so not a happy bunny.

Anyway, it didn't solve the problem...the OD is still on when grounded even with the diode reversed.

I have it wired exactly like this but now the diode is reversed along with the corresponding connections to the diode for power and to the switches.
Bluesmaster relays close up.png

anybody? I don't understand why the OD relay is different on this than on the #124,#102,

either this is wrong or the boost is wrong,without a footswitch I don't know if the LED's will be correct thereby showing which one is right or wrong.

Marcus
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Marcus my fault on the diode, it was hot and I wasn't thinking clearly.
You can keep the connections that are wired to the left pins of the relay.(com)
The wires that are on the middle and right pins of the relay are reversed. Fe. Orange wire coming from clean v1b is reversed with the black wire (for grounding point) connection.
Same with the wire connections to the upper row of the relay.(brown wire and black shielded wire.
In blues masters and hrm the od ratio is the master for the od hence the difference in wiring.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

thanks Erwin,

Ok I've just built my footswitch and the OD and boost are working together correctly BUT...the LED's are reversed so they're both OFF when they should be on.

How do I reverse the LED behaviour ?

marcus
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Lol that pesky relay thing.
The relay connections that are on the layout are the ones are ok.
The wiring for the backpanel switches are the ones that need to be reversed. Middle lugs stay the Same. Bottom and top wires are reversed, so the footswitch leds got ground connection when they are supposed to be on. Check if you can follow this thought. It should be right, but I'm doing this by what's in top of my mind and don't have a schem. in front.