HRM needs some Lovin'

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: RE: Re: HRM needs some Lovin'

Post by pompeiisneaks »

fred.violleau wrote:A little quickie for those of you who owns the archives of this great forum.
I am designing a new dumble clone chassis. In order to speed up the process I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of some existing files.

I have crawled through the forum and have found different old threads, but none has a complete schematic of the chassis (or I have not found these yet) with all the holes and dimensions. If none exists then I will gladly contribute. Otherwise I would spare precious time as I will modify it anyhow to expose the HRM pots in the front and add the on/off HRM bypass as well.

Again thanks for your help.

Fred, learning everyday!
Does this help http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27217

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

tUber Nerd!
fred.violleau

Re: HRM needs some Lovin'

Post by fred.violleau »

Thanks pompeiisneaks!

Fred, learning everyday!

M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I have a CE chassis and a Funk (Brandon Montgomery) chassis but that Funk chassis is blank no faceplate or backplate art.

They are not the same.

I had one of Sebago's chassis but sold it and it was different from the other two. The .dxf file should have it all.
fred.violleau

Post by fred.violleau »

As I work ony chassis, I am wondering if putting the HRM tonestack on the front face of the amp is a good choice:
-It seems like it would add complexity to the overall perception of the amp.

-Is it that usefull? I think RG Guitars is producing an 80 watts clone dumble and they decided to put the pots on the back of the amp, but disabling the HRM tonestack is in the front .

My main concern is that I have never found an amp that would share the same tonestack for the clean and the distorted Channel and have a great tone when switching channels. It always needs a little tweak depending on which channel you are playing This lead me to pick the HRM clone.

Anyone has experience to share on that point?

Fred, learning everyday!

M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I really like Henry's Redplate "Magic Dust Dual" which has the HRM pots on the front.

The HRM tone stack has the OD trimmer (AKA Trigger), OD Gain, and OD Volume as well as Treble, Middle, and Bass Controls with MID and Preamp Boost. All on the front panel

The NON-HRM has the same OD trimmer (AKA trigger), OD Gain, and OD Level controls but with no tone stack.

As well as being able to use both Overdrives (1 & 2) cascaded into each other.

The Clean has One Tone stack control, and the Rotary knob with 6 positions of Tweed, Brown, and black face voicing’s.

newpanel_and_Knobs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fred.violleau

Post by fred.violleau »

It looks very promising indeed. The Rotary knob is bit out of my league for now thought ;)

Fred, learning everyday!

romberg

Post by romberg »

fred.violleau wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:45 am I have crawled through the forum and have found different old threads, but none has a complete schematic of the chassis (or I have not found these yet) with all the holes and dimensions. If none exists then I will gladly contribute. Otherwise I would spare precious time as I will modify it anyhow to expose the HRM pots in the front and add the on/off HRM bypass as well.
I'm just about to start a build of an ODS 102 HRM based on the schematic found here by icracer. I am putting all these controls on the front panel. I have a schematic, BoM and scale drawings of the chassis, layout and faceplates. I'll start a new thread here soon and post them all there. Attached is a picture of the faceplates.

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Nice panel layout. No FX loop?
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

xtian wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:46 pm Nice panel layout. No FX loop?
I thought the same thing....

M
fred.violleau

Post by fred.violleau »

@Romberg interesting project! Creative way to layout all the knobs as well. And yeah why no FX loop?

Fred, learning everyday!

romberg

Post by romberg »

fred.violleau wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:57 pm @Romberg interesting project! Creative way to layout all the knobs as well.
Thanks! My project is somewhat similar to yours. I'm not reworking an existing build. But I am re-purposing an existing chassis. So, many of the holes here were already punched on the chassis I'm using. I have modified some and added a few more to accommodate doing an HRM with the pots on front.
And yeah why no FX loop?
Klingon Answer: Effects are for the weak! :)

Real Answer: In all my years of playing I've never used an effects loop. And don't see that changing. Plus I'm using a fairly small chassis (by ODS standards). It is roughly the size of a JTM45 chassis. So, there is not an vast supply of extra space inside once I jam in everything for a 102hrm. So, I decided to prune that bit of the circuit. If something earth shattering happens and I decide I must have a loop, I do have space for jacks. So, I could hog out two holes and add the loop. Just decided not to build what I won't use.

Mike
Guitarman18

Post by Guitarman18 »

Real Answer: In all my years of playing I've never used an effects loop. And don't see that changing. Plus I'm using a fairly small chassis (by ODS standards). It is roughly the size of a JTM45 chassis. So, there is not an vast supply of extra space inside once I jam in everything for a 102hrm. So, I decided to prune that bit of the circuit. If something earth shattering happens and I decide I must have a loop, I do have space for jacks. So, I could hog out two holes and add the loop. Just decided not to build what I won't use.

Mike
[/quote]

I would say that the general consensus with #102 is that it works as a system in conjunction with a D'lator, which means an FX loop is almost essential. Without the D'lator it is an extremely bright amp.

Just something to think about........

Cheers,

Paul.
'Beauty is in the ear of the beholder'
fred.violleau

Post by fred.violleau »

romberg wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:23 am
fred.violleau wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:57 pm @Romberg interesting project! Creative way to layout all the knobs as well.
Thanks! My project is somewhat similar to yours. I'm not reworking an existing build. But I am re-purposing an existing chassis. So, many of the holes here were already punched on the chassis I'm using. I have modified some and added a few more to accommodate doing an HRM with the pots on front.
And yeah why no FX loop?
Klingon Answer: Effects are for the weak! :)

Mike
Hehehehe Captain Kirk to Spok, I almost neverd used an FX loop as well in my 20ish years of playing, and always put my pedals in the front of the amp.

BUT this was before I tried a Ceriatone HRM amp alone and then with a C-lator. I was stunned to hear the difference on the sound of the amp. Everything was creamier a little less glassy without loosing definition. It's the reason I am willing to incoporate the active FX loop inside my build. I would'nt have bothered otherwise.

Totally agree with Guitarman18 on the brightness of the 102 amp. I have seen Robben Ford playing with his famous Dumble many times and it sounds very bright although he is ALWAYS pluging in Dumbleator without any pedals in it, but using long cables which would add some resistance to the signal, hence loosing brightness. This is probably why his amp was modified to accomodate that loss. There are many clips on YouTube where you can hear #102 clones. IMHO they definitelly miss a D-lator to ease the painfull brightness of the amp.

Good luck with your build.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Two cliff jacks on the back panel are not going to eat up much room for interrupt style passive loop.
fred.violleau

Post by fred.violleau »

A little update with a first draft of my chassis plans.
I have rebuilt it with Illustrator.
I have respected the size of the holes for the pots and some of the specs included in NorburyBrook's doc.
I plan on removing the bigger circles around the pot holes for the final design. These are just on the drawing to make sure I have enough clearance to position everything accordingly.
chassis_holes_guide_Fred.pdf
It is hard for me visualize the end result. I might print on paper to get the feel of it.
Let me know what you think.
Will galdly share the final result with the community.

Cheers.

Fred.

Last edited by fred.violleau on Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.