183 heater current concerns - experience with heyboer?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

BarryW

183 heater current concerns - experience with heyboer?

Post by BarryW »

I've read many threads and I know that there are many 183 builds out there. It seems that many of been concerned over the current draw for the heaters since this build uses EL34s and really calls for 6.9 A on the heaters. Have most people been successful using standard twin iron? I know by reviewing threads that several have talked about getting their own transformers wound, but I can't seem to find a great deal of consensus. I have a heyboer/mojo twin PT rated at 6A and I'm concerned that it will just run to hot. If you have built the circuit with twin iron, has your build held up? Or what is everybody using for EL 34 builds? Marshall iron seems to be a good possibility with some mounting workarounds.

And thanks to everybody who has always shared so much here. I've said it many times and I will say it many more – I have learned so much from people on this board, I am so very grateful. Thank you all.
xtian

Re: 183 heater current concerns - experience with heyboer?

Post by xtian »

Im just one data point, but here you go. I used ClassicTone iron in my 183, and have put about 30 hours on it with EL34s. No issues.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

BarryW wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:48 pm I've read many threads and I know that there are many 183 builds out there. It seems that many of been concerned over the current draw for the heaters since this build uses EL34s and really calls for 6.9 A on the heaters. Have most people been successful using standard twin iron? I know by reviewing threads that several have talked about getting their own transformers wound, but I can't seem to find a great deal of consensus. I have a heyboer/mojo twin PT rated at 6A and I'm concerned that it will just run to hot. If you have built the circuit with twin iron, has your build held up? Or what is everybody using for EL 34 builds? Marshall iron seems to be a good possibility with some mounting workarounds.

And thanks to everybody who has always shared so much here. I've said it many times and I will say it many more – I have learned so much from people on this board, I am so very grateful. Thank you all.
I've used all custom Heyboer PT's in my builds so I'm no help. However, I would not sweat running a Heyboer 6A Twin PT at 7 amps.

TM
BarryW

Post by BarryW »

Thanks for the input and data points. I'm going to give it a shot, I'll report back with my experience