Fitting Twin Transformers to a D'Lite?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Mark

Fitting Twin Transformers to a D'Lite?

Post by Mark »

I built a D'Lite for a guy many years ago and on the weekend I received a call from him.

The D'Lite amp is essentially a #0102 amp with extra features. It uses the stock D'Lite transformers, which I thought were fine. The owner has been talking to Brandon, who advises him to turn the amp into a Skyliner (which it is when no options have been chosen.)

Brandon advised the owner to put Bassman transformers into the amp, (I did use the output transformer from my Boogie SOB in the amp and the D'Lite output transformer sounded better.) I advised him that he wouldn't hear much difference between the stock transformers and a Bassman set. I said he'd need a Twin set to hear some difference.

So the owner wants a Twin power and output transformer in the D'Lite. I'm inclined to think there will be other issues with such a move.

Has anyone else seen or done this?

Thanks for your input.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
ToneMerc

Re: Fitting Twin Transformers to a D'Lite?

Post by ToneMerc »

Mark wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:53 pm I built a D'Lite for a guy many years ago and on the weekend I received a call from him.

The D'Lite amp is essentially a #0102 amp with extra features. It uses the stock D'Lite transformers, which I thought were fine. The owner has been talking to Brandon, who advises him to turn the amp into a Skyliner (which it is when no options have been chosen.)

Brandon advised the owner to put Bassman transformers into the amp, (I did use the output transformer from my Boogie SOB in the amp and the D'Lite output transformer sounded better.) I advised him that he wouldn't hear much difference between the stock transformers and a Bassman set. I said he'd need a Twin set to hear some difference.

So the owner wants a Twin power and output transformer in the D'Lite. I'm inclined to think there will be other issues with such a move.

Has anyone else seen or done this?

Thanks for your input.
Mark, my "tweaked" D'lite has custom Heyboer trannies. The OT is basically a 8093 style with as much wire that could be pinched under the frame, Phil told me it was equivalent to 60W. The PT puts almost 470V on a pair of 6L6's and it's a ballsy piece.

Concerning "Twin" power is it in the context of upgrading to 4 output tubes as well? In that BN DL chassis there's only so much real estate, but did play around with the largest power capacity that I could get in the Vibrolux form factor.

Also, I have another's wolf in sheeps clothing and most likely the only D'Lite with the MusicMan power scheme 700/350, it's configured as basically a gelded 102.

TM
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks for your reply.

I did initially look at the Heyboer Vibrolux transformer set, but I couldn't guarantee the desired results for the expenditure.

The D'Lite chassis will take four output valves. Currently the owner has a choice of four 6V6's or two 6L6's.

The output transformer will fit on the chassis with some extra holes, the choke is a Twin reverb choke and the power transformer is the issue. I just don't know if there is enough real estate with it standing up as opposed to the Z mount.

What did you think about change in timbre compared to the stock amp?
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
drew

Post by drew »

What is it that the guy is trying to accomplish? And would it be more easily attained by commissioning a full-on Dumble replica and selling the D'Lite?
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks for your reply Drew, given the D'Lite pretty much pulls a lot of Dumble like tones as it has many extra features, I too wonder what the owner hopes to achieve. The new transformers will alter the sound of the amp as well. The Twin power transformer will need a 5vac winding for the switching. Any recommendations?
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

Mark wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:24 am Thanks for your reply.

I did initially look at the Heyboer Vibrolux transformer set, but I couldn't guarantee the desired results for the expenditure.

The D'Lite chassis will take four output valves. Currently the owner has a choice of four 6V6's or two 6L6's.

The output transformer will fit on the chassis with some extra holes, the choke is a Twin reverb choke and the power transformer is the issue. I just don't know if there is enough real estate with it standing up as opposed to the Z mount.

What did you think about change in timbre compared to the stock amp?
Mark, tone is subjective and personal, with no guarantees that he will like the 50 or 100 watt change either. I have built maybe 4-5 quad full blown ODS types, but I was not chasing girth, tight and clean either. I don't think you can ever go wrong with quad big bottles.

THe "max effort" custom Vibrolux form factor PT's that I had made were close in HT capacity to about 82% of a Twin and I imagine one could run a quad of 6l6's

TM
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks again for your advice TM.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott