Joey Landreth-Dumble

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

norburybrook

Joey Landreth-Dumble

Post by norburybrook »

Last night I went to see Joey Landreth playing in London. Probably one of the best gigs I've seen in a long time. His guitar sound was just amazing, what amp was he using?
DSC_1366.JPG

100w Bluesmaster with an EVM12S sealed ported cab.

how do I Know this?......I built it :D

yes, that's my well documented Bluesmaster and cab I made a few years ago with the help of you guys.

here's an interesting thing though. Joey has played through two real Dumbles in the last year or so but he told the new owner of my amp that ' this was the best of the three'

I'm relaying this not as a boast or chest puffing, but to encourage people to believe ,( as someone has in their signature) ;

' the rules of physics are the same on your bench as they are on HADs' and this just goes to show that if I can build an amp that sounds better than two original HAD amps so can anyone here, there's no holy grail components or 'magic/voodoo' valves :D

just use good quality parts and follow lead dress etc from the layouts and you'll be good to go. My bluesmaster isn't particularly pretty inside and I didn't use any special NOS parts or valves , I just used JJ valves throughout and the regular available Xircon/Dale resistors and orange drops along with transformers from InMadOut in Italy wound with an extra secondary for the relays.

I thought this was a nice story of a newcomer here myself a few years ago , with your help and the resources made available, to end up creating an amp that gave so much pleasure to Joey and the London audience last night.

Marcus
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
martin manning

Re: Joey Landreth-Dumble

Post by martin manning »

Good to hear this report Marcus. I don't believe in magic, but serendipity is always a possibility! Brace yourself- people are going to be asking you for exact part numbers and transformer specs!
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Martin you can take a lot of credit for this :D

I think serendipity does come into play and also without sounding 'new age' I think intention too when building. By that I mean I Put my heart and soul into that amp and possibly that may have had some zen/holistic effect :D I'm a believer if you care about what you make and make things with love,be that food, a piece of furniture or a tube amp, then it will have a positive effect on its outcome. I hope that doesn't contradict my original post, I mean the 'magic' comes from something else rather than NOS parts or fancy capacitors :D

At the end of the day it's an amplifier which is there to plug a guitar in and amplify the sound through a speaker so a musician can create music which will have an emotional connection to the listener.

It certainly did that last night.

I really hope Joey can go on to achieve the success he deserves.

Marcus
fred.violleau

Post by fred.violleau »

I think that is a compliment well diserved Marcus!

We may also remember that Mr Dumble voices the amp for each player. Subtle nuances that make a difference for each player.

I am glad to hear and read that the holly grail of tone is reachable. It inspires me in my project to keep going at my own pace and not to rush it, but enjoy the journey as well!

Thanks.

Fred, learning everyday!

martin manning

Post by martin manning »

norburybrook wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:00 pmAt the end of the day it's an amplifier which is there to plug a guitar in and amplify the sound through a speaker so a musician can create music which will have an emotional connection to the listener.
Agreed, and I believe this is where the magic is!
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

That is too cool! I posted Bros Landreth in the "What are you listening to" thread on May 24th and have been bingeing on that band and Joey's solo work since. What a talent! You are lucky to have that association and have your amp in his hands. And yes, as Martin mentioned, we will all want to know the details (I'll look for the thread). Any clips of the music?
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

I have some video clips but not sure how to share them here.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Mr. dB

Post by Mr. dB »

Neato!
didit

Post by didit »

norburybrook wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:21 pm I have some video clips but not sure how to share them here.
youtube upload, then post link using that button. Or at least that's how via browser.

Best .. Ian
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Good job Marcus and it must be a great sounding amp. Don't stop keep on building. :D

Mark
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Nice one Marcus :D
What's the next build?

Aaron
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Congrats 8)
rogb

Post by rogb »

Nice one Marcus, always cool when an amp you love gets appreciated by a great player and a wider audience 8)
I remember my first D build had a bunch of pretty average components and build quality, but due to serendipity and tolerances going the right way, sounded fairly awesome.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Ok, video clip stood right in front of the amp.

https://youtu.be/84COJ6rLFuw

Enjoy.

Marcus
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

Wow, Nice! Amp sound amazing, Marcus... Just one question though, how is he playing slide without a slide? Is the upper portion of the neck fretless?
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture