quad noval ODS chassis potentials

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

didit

quad noval ODS chassis potentials

Post by didit »

In early June Taylor, of Amplified Nation fame, offered us batch of ODS chassis with four 9 pin socket holes. I along with other lucky people bought one. Continue slowly collecting parts, along with ideas. Actual build perhaps October or November.

Closing posts to "for-sale" thread hinted a possible use for the extra tube. My list of options:
  1. post-PI follower following SSS form
  2. one-tube reverb, perhaps with 6BM8/6GH8 driver
  3. integrated Dumbleator or active loop
Curious to hear others chiming in. Also curious on what objectiveTaylor and others had including it.

Best .. Ian
ToneMerc

Re: quad noval ODS chassis potentials

Post by ToneMerc »

didit wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:28 pm In early June Taylor, of Amplified Nation fame, offered us batch of ODS chassis with four 9 pin socket holes. I along with other lucky people bought one. Continue slowly collecting parts, along with ideas. Actual build perhaps October or November.

Closing posts to "for-sale" thread hinted a possible use for the extra tube. My list of options:
  1. post-PI follower following SSS form
  2. one-tube reverb, perhaps with 6BM8/6GH8 driver
  3. integrated Dumbleator or active loop
Curious to hear others chiming in. Also curious on what objectiveTaylor and others had including it.

Best .. Ian
I believe that when CE did a run of 4 novals, most folks did the built in loop.

TM
didit

Post by didit »

ToneMerc wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:56 pm I believe that when CE did a run of 4 novals, most folks did the built in loop.
Thanks for the confirmation. That was a best guess, and makes sense.
dragonbat13

Post by dragonbat13 »

What transformers are these chassis fitted for? I was assuming Twin Reverb iron.
didit

Post by didit »

dragonbat13 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:22 am What transformers are these chassis fitted for? I was assuming Twin Reverb iron.
Yes. Also flexible, and smaller iron possible. Hammond Twin set with 2-4-8 secondary ( 291FX, 1760W, 194B) was my best option.

Best .. Ian
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I used Magnetic Components Fender Twin Reverb transformer set (4) from www.Triodestore.com

PT, OT, choke & reverb.

Also, Taylor sells a transformer plate to convert to 50w PT if you want lower wattage.

Mark
dragonbat13

Post by dragonbat13 »

M Fowler wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:11 pm I used Magnetic Components Fender Twin Reverb transformer set (4) from www.Triodestore.com

PT, OT, choke & reverb.

Also, Taylor sells a transformer plate to convert to 50w PT if you want lower wattage.

Mark
Are you using the fourth tube for reverb?
didit

Post by didit »

M Fowler wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:11 pm Also, Taylor sells a transformer plate to convert to 50w PT if you want lower wattage.
One'd doublecheck but I gather he has a plate to convert for 22W. Uncertain about 50W and whether it requires an adapter or fits loosely in without. Haven't investigated fully as going to be following the basic recipe for this one.

Best .. Ian
didit

Post by didit »

dragonbat13 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:27 pm Are you using the fourth tube for reverb?
Haven't finalized but probably going to put tube loop in/out and then have offboard for reverb and trem/vibrato.

Best .. Ian
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Oh yeah are those plates for 22w not 50w I got confused, that's easy to forget.

Mark
dragonbat13

Post by dragonbat13 »

didit wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:53 pm
dragonbat13 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:27 pm Are you using the fourth tube for reverb?
Haven't finalized but probably going to put tube loop in/out and then have offboard for reverb and trem/vibrato.

Best .. Ian
I guess that would be the way to go. A bluesmaster with a hoffman revibe with matching tolex in the loop would be a nice rig.
didit

Post by didit »

Something alike. Shopping for parts. Transformers arrived. Sifting resistor and capacitor bins. Still might divert to option #1, post-PI CF driver.
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

The chassis I've been selling will do 100w Twin or 50w Bassman PT or I have adapter plates to reduce from 100w->>22w Deluxe Reverb iron.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation