New Dumble Tweedle Dee by Welagen

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Mark

Re: New Dumble Tweedle Dee by Welagen

Post by Mark »

stelligan wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:55 pm Good lookin' amp. Really do like that circuit and believe it is an improvement on a classic. Not too far departed but, just enough. Have built several for me - when I let friends and family play them - I never get them back......
I have considered building the 5E3 first and then the Dumble version. I have played the Dumble version very very briefly and I wasn't initially wowed by it.

Where does the magic happen with these amps?
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

My G12M was not as articulate, not enough low end, and not enough clean top end. It would be good in a pair for Marshall type amps I think.

Mark
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

Not sure of the difference in specs but there is a big price difference.
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Mark wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:55 pm I have considered building the 5E3 first and then the Dumble version. I have played the Dumble version very very briefly and I wasn't initially wowed by it.

Edge of breakup is where it's at for me with these amps. Set your guitar with the volume maxed and adjust the amp volume until it breaks up nicely. Just a little grindy with solos and chords and the tone a little bright and brash. Then roll back the guitar volume and tone to a nice clean tone. Voila! Do the rest of the work at your guitar varying the gain and tone as you play with picking attack and volume/tone controls. You can definitely find the sweet spot.

Good video here:

Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Mark wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:52 pm What is different between the green back and the Rocket speaker. I ask as the green back sounds good in an open back cab too.
Similar too what Mark said. I found the Rocket 50 to have a bit more low end and broke up sooner. Great for studio use.
But I like the Black Shadow for a bit more headroom and it's louder.

Also, which Black Shadow do you have? Silver or Black frame? I'm pretty sure silver frame are made by Celestion and black frame is by Eminence.

Aaron
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I would like to try Tim Marcus "Milkman amps" new Eminence built speaker like a EM12 he says. $179.

Mark
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

M Fowler wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:47 am I would like to try Tim Marcus "Milkman amps" new Eminence built speaker like a EM12 he says. $179.

Mark
Can testify that the circuit sounds great through vintage 12L.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Aaron wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:36 am
Mark wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:52 pm What is different between the green back and the Rocket speaker. I ask as the green back sounds good in an open back cab too.
Similar too what Mark said. I found the Rocket 50 to have a bit more low end and broke up sooner. Great for studio use.
But I like the Black Shadow for a bit more headroom and it's louder.

Also, which Black Shadow do you have? Silver or Black frame? I'm pretty sure silver frame are made by Celestion and black frame is by Eminence.

Aaron
I have the Celestion speaker.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Mark

Post by Mark »

Does the Tweedle Dee do Neil Young well?

I wonder if there is a trade off with the circuit?
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
lovetone

Post by lovetone »

stelligan wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:53 am
Mark wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:55 pm I have considered building the 5E3 first and then the Dumble version. I have played the Dumble version very very briefly and I wasn't initially wowed by it.

Edge of breakup is where it's at for me with these amps. Set your guitar with the volume maxed and adjust the amp volume until it breaks up nicely. Just a little grindy with solos and chords and the tone a little bright and brash. Then roll back the guitar volume and tone to a nice clean tone. Voila! Do the rest of the work at your guitar varying the gain and tone as you play with picking attack and volume/tone controls. You can definitely find the sweet spot.

Good video here:

I agree but at this point your amp is blowing the windows out, pubs in England are quite small so we cant go mad with the back line.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I have a Weber Attenuator which knocks the volume down offering different degradation in quality depending on the particular amp. My 18 watt Marshall hates it, but regular Marshall's and Champs are fine with it.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott