102 type build to commence...

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

stelligan

102 type build to commence...

Post by stelligan »

Have been on a Marshall and Fender kick lately but have decided to finish this. After I promised myself when this spool of solder was gone, I am done building amps! Figured I would offer this chassis and parts up for sale - then realized I just need a Power transformer and a few parts to get it done. Will somebody loan me some solder?? :)

CE chassis, mostly 6PS caps, Heyboer 124A29A OT, Mag. Components 40-18003 choke.

Recommendations for Power transformer and relays greatly appreciated. Dunno if I will implement the FET as I use a clean boost on pedalboard.

Seeing/hearing this amp up close this winter in Nashville renewed my interest in the project. Here we go.... Fitting the chassis with pots, transformers and switches is up next.
102.JPG
102brd.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Guy77

Re: 102 type build to commence...

Post by Guy77 »

Your build is looking really nice. I like the CE chassis . I have one that I will be using for a Bluesmaster non-HRM build. In regards to relays I use the ones from grangeramp.com.
I live in Canada so with the difference in the dollar, for me its always Hammond Transformers. This guy has the best prices online a1parts.com.

Keep the iron hot!

Cheers
Guy
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Important to use RN65 metal films on the V1 & V2 plates? I think I have some. I populated this board about 4 or 5 years ago. Just checking before I get too far along....
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

stelligan wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:56 pm Important to use RN65 metal films on the V1 & V2 plates? I think I have some. I populated this board about 4 or 5 years ago. Just checking before I get too far along....
I doubt anyone could hear a difference if you didn't....

I threw my bluesmaster combo together recently with all kinds of random resistors I had on hand and it sounds great.......

Marcus
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Yes I agree with Marcus here as well. I have heard these amps with and without the RN65 side by side in the same room (both 124 clones) and I could not tell the difference.
Mr. dB

Post by Mr. dB »

Nice precision power supply board.
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Guy77 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:01 pm Your build is looking really nice. I like the CE chassis . I have one that I will be using for a Bluesmaster non-HRM build. In regards to relays I use the ones from grangeramp.com.
I live in Canada so with the difference in the dollar, for me its always Hammond Transformers. This guy has the best prices online a1parts.com.
Cheers
Guy
Thanks for the sourcing tip and good luck with your project. I built a 50 watt Bluesmaster a while back. Nice circuit with pleasant breakup on the clean channel.
Mr. dB wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:44 am Nice precision power supply board.
Those were from J Borders. Unobtainium now I guess...
norburybrook wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:14 pm
I doubt anyone could hear a difference if you didn't....

I threw my bluesmaster combo together recently with all kinds of random resistors I had on hand and it sounds great.......

Marcus
Great news. I figure if it ends up not broke - I won't fix it.
Mr. dB

Post by Mr. dB »

Will be watching with interest since I need the motivation to get started on my own 102 type build.
talbany

Post by talbany »

After I promised myself when this spool of solder was gone, I am done building amps!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Good Luck with that! Stell..

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

talbany wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:10 am :lol: :lol: :lol:
Good Luck with that! Stell..

Tony
Ran out of my solder this am. All I have in the house is Radio Shack lead free crap. Project is at a stand still..........
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Has to be somewhere to get some more. Radio Shack 60/40 solder is pretty good stuff in my experience...
andresound

Post by andresound »

Pulling up a chair
If it sounds good, it is good! Trust your ears
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

martin manning wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:26 pm Has to be somewhere to get some more. Radio Shack 60/40 solder is pretty good stuff in my experience...
Yeah, I'll find some. I haven't sourced anything in this town yet and I have lived here over 3 years. I need to get out more..... I have this 90/10 silver bearing here that is not doing me any favors....
Mr. dB

Post by Mr. dB »

martin manning wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:26 pm Has to be somewhere to get some more. Radio Shack 60/40 solder is pretty good stuff in my experience...
Radio Shack solder - I'm sure their metallurgy is okay, but man their flux is just the worst.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

I bought some KESTER solder after a recommendation here and it changed my life....wonderful stuff.

M