ODS switch positions

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

romberg

ODS switch positions

Post by romberg »

I'm rounding the home stretch on the building plans and gathering parts phase of my ODS build. My attention is about to focus on the faceplate and it occurs to me that I'm not certain exactly which switch positions do exactly what. I'm going to be building something along the lines of the 102 ( v1.8 ) found here on this site. So, it has three switches in the pre-amp. The brite switch I understand no problem. It is more brite when the switch is closed and the cap bypasses the volume pot. However the other two I'm less certain about. Perhaps someone else could clue me in so I don't layout the faceplate backwards.
  • The mid-boost switch is in boost "mode" when the switch is closed and the cap (C6) is bypassed? I think this is the case but it might be the other way around.
  • It is clear to me that when the rock/jazz switch is in the center off position then it is the same as the PAB. But the rock and the jazz settings are unclear to me. I'm guessing that when the switch connects the bottom of the treble pot and C12 then alot of treble is dumped to ground and it is in "jazz" mode. Or is this the other way around?
I've attached a schematic I'm refering to below. Mostly I'd like to get the rock/jazz switch wired up right the first time (and match my faceplate) 'cause fixing it after the fact is going to be difficult. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xtian

Re: ODS switch positions

Post by xtian »

Your assumption about the bright switch is correct. As for the face plate, the way to label it is the way you want it to work. Then make the circuit match the faceplate. 🙃
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
xtian

Post by xtian »

My #183 has a rock jazz switch but it's on-on. No middle position.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
romberg

Post by romberg »

xtian wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:02 am As for the face plate, the way to label it is the way you want it to work. Then make the circuit match the faceplate. 🙃
I would like to stick the landing on my first go at it as fixing either one after it is built will be less than trivial :).
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

If you follow the #102 layout then your switches will work as expected/labelled.

Marcus
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

romberg wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:18 am
  • The mid-boost switch is in boost "mode" when the switch is closed and the cap (C6) is bypassed? I think this is the case but it might be the other way around.
  • It is clear to me that when the rock/jazz switch is in the center off position then it is the same as the PAB. But the rock and the jazz settings are unclear to me. I'm guessing that when the switch connects the bottom of the treble pot and C12 then alot of treble is dumped to ground and it is in "jazz" mode. Or is this the other way around?
Correct on the mid boost. In Jazz mode several things are going on: More loss (lower volume overall), some treble reduction re Rock mode, and more mid scoop. The layout correctly shows which switch position does what, excepting Deep is PAB.
romberg

Post by romberg »

Thanks Martin for confirming my guess on the mid boost! My only bit of confusion left then involves the rock/jazz switch.

I am using a file called 102_adapted_layout_v8_161.pdf as a guide for my own layout. I'm not using a conventional chassis and am going to use my own turret boards. So, things will deviate a bit. I've attached a small sub-image of the layout I'm using as a guide below.

Things I know:
  • From a players perspective looking at the faceplate when mounted in a cabinet, the label rock is on top and jazz is on the bottom.
  • The layout I'm using as a guide reflects this assuming the tubes point down.
  • When the player moves the switch paddle to the up position so that it is pointing at the rock label the "rock" mode is switched in.
  • Some toggle switches I've tested connect the back solder lugs in a way that follows the paddle (center lugs connected to top lugs when paddle points toward top). And some make these connections in the opposite way (when paddle points at the top the center lugs connect to the bottom lugs).
I don't know what kind of switches are used in the layout I'm using as a guide. When the paddle points towards "rock" is the .005u cap connected to the rock/jazz switch in the circuit or not?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Take a look at the bright switch ;^)
romberg

Post by romberg »

Yes it did occur to me that I can use the other two switches where I do understand how they relate to the circuit as a guide. I almost feel foolish except for one bit of information I don't know.

I've never played a real ODS and probably never will. So, I don't know if the brite switch points up or down when it is engaged (closed). If I knew that the brite switch was closed when the paddle points down (towards the floor) then everything would fall into place. I'll scour the webs and see if I can find this out. It would be awesome if someone knows the right direction. I mostly don't wanna have to re-wire the rock/jazz switch if I get it bassakwards. :)

Thanks again!

Mike
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

When the switch bat is in the "up" position the middle and lower contacts are shorted. The other two are the same, i.e. the bat is moved towards the name to engage the effect.
romberg

Post by romberg »

Nice! Thanks Martin.