Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

j0k3335

Re: BEGINNER NEEDS ADVICES !

Post by j0k3335 »

j0k3335 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:41 pm
... so I have to continue to make my home work :oops:
... so, today, I have done some parts of the schematic starting from the layout ( :evil: ... thanks Ceriatone ! ) :

. the OD,

. the PI and Power output stage.

the most difficult for me is the preamp section with ALL the switches and ALL the relays :oops:

I have found that this schematic is really close to the "Bluesmaster Ripper 189" which was post here ( I'm sorry to NOT remembering the post and the Author : anyway a GREAT thanks !!! )
( some values changes but the "topology" is really the same )

... of course, no, I don't have the "RF coil" (military inductance ? ) at the input of the OD ... :mrgreen:

Of course, when I have finished everything and all controlled, if it may interest someone I will send it.

I do not know what the policy is here for the diagrams made so: if it came from an amp, it is clear that I will not allow myself to post it or send it == or at least I will ask the opinion of the manufacturer/creator ! ( example: if I rewrite the schema of my Fuchs ODS30 ... I will not allow myself to post it or send it! )

In the case of this Ceriatone, nothing is secret WHEREAS a layout is provided on the internet in the eyes of everyone, so I do not think it could harm that I provide the schema ?! But, well, I will avoid posting it and send it to those who wish it.

Is this correct? (this forum and all you guys give so precious information, I have to participate a little bit at my "level" :) )
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

The unwritten rules are no posting of schematics for current production amps, unless they are otherwise available to the public. Since Nik nicked all the Dumble and Trainwreck info from this site, it's not surprising that the Ceriatone layout matches the one you found here.
j0k3335

Post by j0k3335 »

martin manning wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:28 pm The unwritten rules are no posting of schematics for current production amps, unless they are otherwise available to the public. Since Nik nicked all the Dumble and Trainwreck info from this site, it's not surprising that the Ceriatone layout matches the one you found here.
Hi Martin,

I'll have to thanks you again :D

Thanks to inform me about the rules, so now it's clear .

Concerning Ceriatone , I fell that there is a "dispute" between this forum and Nik ( his behaviour, attitude, recent position, ... ) ? ...

Back to this schematic, yes for now the Ceriatone Bluesmaster seems close to this Dumble Bluesmaster "ripper".
As explained, I didn't go for now to the preamp section coz of the switches, the relays, ... : and it seems that there are some "tricks" on the Dumble Ripper that the Ceriatone doesn't have ?
( the selection of the PAB only in Rock mode, ..., ??? but I've to understand first the action of the PAB in basic "Dumble" to really discover all these ! )

Anyway, thanks :wink:

José

NOTA : is Larry Carlton last model/version this "Ripper" ?
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Jose,

My understanding is that Nik at Ceriatone, took most of his amp build data straight from this site, rebranded it as his, and then basically provides no support, and expects his paying customers to find help elsewhere. Since this site is built around the amps he has clones of, they end up here, lost on how to build the amps. Many here have had a bad taste in their mouth due to this experience, but we keep offering the best help we can.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
j0k3335

Post by j0k3335 »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:44 pm Jose,

My understanding is that Nik at Ceriatone, took most of his amp build data straight from this site, rebranded it as his, and then basically provides no support, and expects his paying customers to find help elsewhere. Since this site is built around the amps he has clones of, they end up here, lost on how to build the amps. Many here have had a bad taste in their mouth due to this experience, but we keep offering the best help we can.

~Phil
Oh, I see !!! ( not really a fair behaviour at least ... :shock: )

... and I am one of those who comes to bore you with that :oops:

"a bad taste in their mouth " and I must add that the Ceriatone forum seems "dead" or , let say, real quiet ...

So thanks again for your help guys , despite the fact that it is probably not always pleasant for you !!! :wink:

José
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

C'est pas grave mon ami, nous sommes ici de s'aider :)

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
j0k3335

Post by j0k3335 »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:17 pm C'est pas grave mon ami, nous sommes ici de s'aider :)

~Phil
Merci Phil, c'est très sympa ... et sans vous, je dois admettre que je serai un peu perdu :oops:
Ce forum est un véritable cours , non pas que sur les Dumbles mais sur les amplis en général !!!

:wink:

( Thanks Phil, that's really cool ... et without you, I must admit that i will probably a bit lost :oops:
This forum is a real electronic training course, and not only about Dumble, but amps in general !!! )

José

(PS : I didn't received today my new multimeter :cry: and I need it for caps and for a better precision ! )
j0k3335

Post by j0k3335 »

I am really sorry to continue this topic only from time to time :oops:

As I already said : "SO don't be shocked if I write or answer posts from time to time : It's not at all a lack of respect and consideration for your help!"

... but I've in the moment to deal with lot of health problems :evil:

But as soon as I will me more "efficient" , for sure I will need your help !

I have read 70% of the "Dumble discussion " topic (!) but for sure I will need all your experience, knowledge and ... patience.

Right now the situation is :

. I received my "improved" digital meter,
. I'm waiting for some parts to be able to do some experimentation ( correct orange drop, ... ),

Concerning this Bluesmaster, after tubes swapping, bias, PI and HRM trimmers "set", the situation is getting better !

. I really love the clean EXCEPT that the Bass control ( and a little bit the medium too ) are not really efficient ?
. the midboost and the PAB are REALLY too "violent" for my taste.
. and I don't like too much my OD with or Without HRM ( using the PAB too ) : not at all the SMOOTH Dumble kind of OD even in the none HRM position ?

That will be the challenge, I will have to encounter !

. for the controls not really efficient : I will see the mods already done in this head ( By NIK : "gain mods" ??? and by the previous owner - see pics on beginning of thread : but I will provide a better
quality when I will really start and ask your help ! :oops: ) : something to do around the slope resistor ? Change some caps value for bass and middle ( furthermore I am not sure how really work
my PAB, Midboost and Jazz/rock relays or switches ... and there are so different versions ? )

. for the OD, AT LEAST, in the non-HRM position, when I use the switch to remove the HRM stack, may be I can control a relay which could change some values, include a filter, ... ?
( to be absolutely honest, I didn't open again this head since my health troubles and so, didn't even know HOW works this switch, which kind is it , ... ... )

Anyway, It will be a real interesting challenge for me ... with your help.

a photo to show you another small funny device :

This little box in the upper left corner is a P&P "two heads one cab" and so I can select the amp by a footswitch ( not in the pic, sorry ) and the box connects the guitar to the correct input and swap the output to the loudspeaker ( the other head gets a load resistor for protection ) !
As this Fender Princeton Reverb II ( with some little tweaks ) has real Blackface sounds, it's a good match, further more than I upgrade the speaker with an Eminence RWB : not really "Blackface correct" ok, but works great with both amps :)

... and this solve my lack of room in my small home !!!

As soon as I feel better, I will start my tweaks ... no need to say that QUICKLY I will need your knowledge :D

José