BEGINNER NEEDS ADVICES !

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

j0k3335

BEGINNER NEEDS ADVICES !

Post by j0k3335 »

Hi,

If I have already modified and repaired amps, I'm not enough competent to build a COMPLETE Dumble clone !
BUT, not only I need a such clone and, furthermore, I would like to experiment different circuits, different models, different components, ...

Could it be a good idea to buy a Ceriatone to start ?

Only problem : it seems that Ceriatone provides only Layouts and NOT schematics ( and I must admit that I feel more confident WITH the schematic and the layout !
Is there a way to get schematics : I understand this is not the right place to ask for Ceriatone schematics !

I understand too that, may be , it's not the place to ask such advices concerning Ceriatone BUT, you must admit that if I ask a such question in the Ceriatone forum, the answers/advices could be not really "impartial" ?! :roll: :lol:

Thanks for any advices :wink:

I could get a Ceriatone Bluesmaster 50 HRM : is it a good choice to start a such "story" ?

Thanks a lot guys ! :)
norburybrook

Re: BEGINNER NEEDS ADVICES !

Post by norburybrook »

all the information for the Ceriatone ODS amps came from here. Just look in the files section and the layouts and Schematics are all there.

M
j0k3335

Post by j0k3335 »

norburybrook wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:22 pm all the information for the Ceriatone ODS amps came from here. Just look in the files section and the layouts and Schematics are all there.

M
Do You mean that, in the Dumble files section, If I take the " 50W Bluesmaster HRM", it will be the same used by Ceriatione ?

Anyway, thanks for you info :wink:
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Some but not all of the C-tone products are modified versions that do not match the circuits here. Their BM will be close to one here, so you could start with the posted schematics and go through the C-tone layout to determine what if anything is different (and that would actually be a good exercise for someone wanting to get familiar with the circuit). I have noticed that the recent layouts are PCB-based, and do not show the traces connecting the components. They provide an easy entry point by gathering up the parts, but I believe you are pretty much on your own after that, and the written documentation is limited. Things that are obvious to someone familiar with electronic theory and guitar amps in particular will be puzzling to a complete novice. The decision might depend upon where in the world you are located, and how much time you are willing to wait or invest in your project.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

good points Martin.

I'll add that I built my first ODS using a combination of Ceriatone layputs and the layouts/schematics here and with the help of the people here on this forum managed to build a great amp.

I had built two amps previously, a 5w SE amp from a kit and a JTM45. THe Dumble ODS was another level regarding complexity :D

Marcus
j0k3335

Post by j0k3335 »

Thanks Martin and Thanks Marcus :

These are a lot of interesting reflections that will not fail to make my decision!
I finally think that this is the kind of exercise that I will enjoy doing, challenge that I want to take up!

... and so, if I decide ... I will need your help !!! :D :wink:

anyway thanks for your answers and your time :D

... it seems a very active forum with real quick answers and lot of advices from other enthusiasts :D
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

you could also compare the Dumble files section HRM 50w to the editable Dumble style files too. http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17449
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

I've got beautiful chassis and 1-2 board sets left...let me know if I can help.
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
j0k3335

Post by j0k3335 »

M Fowler wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:28 pm you could also compare the Dumble files section HRM 50w to the editable Dumble style files too. http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17449
oh, yes, that's an idea : I will install this software and take a look !

j0k3335

Post by j0k3335 »

amplifiednation wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:30 am I've got beautiful chassis and 1-2 board sets left...let me know if I can help.
I would like to be able to start from scratch and choose myself every parts ... but as I have mentioned previously I'm too dummies ( Dumb :) ) for a such complex "complete" build :cry: :oops:

Thanks anyway for the proposal ( and I know -Youtube : as I suppose these are your amps ? - the quality of your products ! ) :wink:
j0k3335

Post by j0k3335 »

oh ... as I suppose you have all noted that English/American is NOT my mother (first ) language ... :oops:

SO, I'm really sorry for each time, I'm not clear, each time I make mistake , misinterpretation, ...

... don't hesitate to correct me ! :D
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

So where are you located? That might help members her to point you to resources.
j0k3335

Post by j0k3335 »

martin manning wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:20 am So where are you located? That might help members her to point you to resources.
In France, near Paris. France is not the best place concerning guitars, amps, gears !
not a lot of choice, High prices caused by, most of the time, custom fees [ +27% :roll: ]
So, impossible to find and try a Ceriatone, a Fuchs, a Caroll Ann, ... I don't talk about Bludotone, Glasswerk, ... ... Only some Two Rock and, of course lot of low price Fender, Marshall, ...
It becomes even difficult to find a PRS "Core" guitar !

Concerning components : we have some great shops. But not a lot about "NOS", so for your NOS Sylvania, Brimar, ... : you have to look in USA ( some in UK too ).

... but I've a little stock :)
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

There is at least one other French member, Deeder, I think. In Eurozone there are some good options for parts, so you are not at much of a disadvantage.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

OK I wouldn't worry too much about NOS parts.

Transformers: InMadOut in Italy make great transformers at a good price
Tube town : https://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/ do everything you'd need to build an amp from transformers, cabinets, chassis, tolex, plugs, resistors, capacitors etc etc, . great service and stocks
Mouser: although based in the USA have a system where they have certainly a UK distribution. they have everything more or less regarding components.
Modulus amplification: http://modulusamplification.com/ Mike is a member here and he's a great guy to deal with and carries a lot of parts.

Between those 4 I've built all my amps.

Marcus