Hybrid ODS rack preamp

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

M Fowler

Re: Hybrid ODS rack preamp

Post by M Fowler »

martin manning wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:44 pm Ok so if I order a Button Tx from Tubedepot will get the MC part, or the Heyboer? The MC will be good for a preamp such as you are building, but the B+ will be ~280, so too low for the D’lator spec.
I would ask specifically for the MC transformer, I do not know what they are selling now days.

However, I sent another email to them concerning this so wait until I hear back or talk to them yourself if you like.

Mark
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:38 pm...TubeDepot has possibly the worst customer service I've used...
I'll second that.

Mark, thanks for looking into this.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I received the specs as we have already discussed but not getting my questions answered but they said they are going to get a data sheet from MC, we'll see.

Mark
Bear

Post by Bear »

A PT that'll cover two bottles and fit into a 1U case is nice. Last conventional one I knew was from Allen Amps and was discontinued.

If you need more bottles, you can always use a pair of Hammond 229 semi-tortoidal flat-packs, one for B+, one for filaments. I'd like to see a bit higher B+ in any of these to put the SSS filter section with its cathode follower at original voltages at the tail of the preamp, a bit like the CAE 3+ and its Bax eq. You would figure the shaping and the mild clipping of the D.C.-coupled follower might help get a bit more "full amp" flavor into a solid state power section or for direct recording. At least worth a try.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Yeah those flat pack Hammonds are nice, I thought about using mine in the preamp but didn't.
21766332_10209535484295549_6324498948297087864_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.