Tweedle Dee Deluxe Build

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: Tweedle Dee Deluxe Build

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Got her done, and fired her up. She's working! Haven't played a ton yet, still need to manage the pi, but three are a few pics of the finished product.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UKt4yB2SRM6dzopf1

Phil
tUber Nerd!
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

Congrats Phil! Nice work.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

thanks!
tUber Nerd!
Mark

Post by Mark »

Good to hear that it's working what does it sound like?
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

It's really great, got a nice clean tone up to about half way, and then it starts to break up really well. I also like that each input has a slightly different level of drive to it at max volume. Not sure I'm the best at explaining the tone of an amp :)

I do love it though. Right now I'm playing it through my celestion gold, but I've got a creamback on the way soon so I'll give that a listen as well.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks for your feedback Phil.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

and using a scope I've balanced the PI, it sounds even better. I've read the thread on how to get it 'off' a bit on purpose to minimize the 2nd harmonic, but oddly in FFT mode, my scope didn't seem to show a horrid spike on the 2nd but had on eon what looked like the 3rd and 5th, but I didn't seem to be able to impact it at all with the PI balance, so instead I just took the output of each side, inverted the second and overlaid them on the same scale, pushed them to just at the point of starting to clip and rolled back til I had a slighly imperfect output, I dialed it around until they looked almost 100% equal and a perfect sine and left it there.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Mark

Post by Mark »

Stick with balancing the P.I. and if possible do a video of the process of setting up the P.I.
Regarding 2nd harmonics, I thought they were desirable and the 3rd harmonic wasn't desirable.

The ticket would seem to be inverting one side and set the oscilloscope to A+B, one would think there should be a straight line when they are equal. There seems to be several points of view on settings this pot up. I thought (could be wrong) there was someone who set up the balance pot in his ODS by measuring the output of each valve on the 1 ohm resistors on the cathodes. I suppose you could set it up for even forward conduction of the output valves.

All food for thought.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Mark wrote:Stick with balancing the P.I. and if possible do a video of the process of setting up the P.I.
Regarding 2nd harmonics, I thought they were desirable and the 3rd harmonic wasn't desirable.

The ticket would seem to be inverting one side and set the oscilloscope to A+B, one would think there should be a straight line when they are equal. There seems to be several points of view on settings this pot up. I thought (could be wrong) there was someone who set up the balance pot in his ODS by measuring the output of each valve on the 1 ohm resistors on the cathodes. I suppose you could set it up for even forward conduction of the output valves.

All food for thought.
That's not a bad idea for a video, and I can ask for input from others as well there :) thanks

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

tUber Nerd!
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Mark wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:43 amThe ticket would seem to be inverting one side and set the oscilloscope to A+B, one would think there should be a straight line when they are equal.
No need to invert, just A+B
Mark wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:43 amI thought (could be wrong) there was someone who set up the balance pot in his ODS by measuring the output of each valve on the 1 ohm resistors on the cathodes.
Yes, I've done that: http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 81#p216781 Accounts for any mismatch in output tubes.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

The latest video in the Tweedle Dee Deluxe Series for your viewing pleasure:

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

martin manning wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:22 pm
Mark wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:43 amThe ticket would seem to be inverting one side and set the oscilloscope to A+B, one would think there should be a straight line when they are equal.
No need to invert, just A+B
Mark wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:43 amI thought (could be wrong) there was someone who set up the balance pot in his ODS by measuring the output of each valve on the 1 ohm resistors on the cathodes.
Yes, I've done that: http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 81#p216781 Accounts for any mismatch in output tubes.
Oh I somehow missed this reply! Man that's a killer idea. A+B of inverted signals should show only the part that's 'not right' correct? That's got to be next level oscilloscope stuff there :P (basics I'm sure but I'm still new to them).

Thanks!

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Video 10 of the Tweedle Dee Deluxe, as you know it's done, but I've got to still edit the last few bits here and there and post the vids :P I'm going to record a demo of it this weekend I hope.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Here's the final video with the fire up and demo:

~Phil
tUber Nerd!