Bitten by the UP/Hotel Hog bug need Antidote

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

RB

Bitten by the UP/Hotel Hog bug need Antidote

Post by RB »

I have been bitten by the UP/Hotel Hog bug and I am looking for the antidote. A few months ago Jelle posted his Hotel Hog layout. I had a 100 watt head that I built as the reverb channel (less tremelo) of a Twin Reverb (basic AB763 clone). I decided to implement all the changes that were on Hotel Hog layout. All I can say is WOW!!. I think it could be said that its every thing you thought your twin reverb should have been and more.

I just acquired a BF Dual Showman head in dire need of refurbishing. The cab is toast. It may be cheaper in the long run just to buy a new one. All original components -orig power cord - tubes current production . I really want to turn it into something as gratifying as the Hotel Hog moded head.

I am not sure how to do this. I know refurbishing it would most likely create the best resale value/potential if I didn’t want to keep it. If made it UP I would keep it. I am unsure of what a UP mod entails. I have saved and read countless links and notes and feel like I still only have a vague notion of what constitutes a UP mod for this circuit entails(Dualshowman). The only thing I am 95% sure of is the Showman amps seems to show up with the normal channel be gain/OD channel and the trem channel a Fat Tem channel.

I see plenty of links on Google by builders and techs offering UP mods so I know the info is available. I am truly great full for every atom of knowledge I have received from this forum. But the UP aggregate knowledge seems to be residing on the back channel of this forum, possibly just keeping it from Nik. I want to thank Jelle again for giving us the Hotel Hog in its simplest form.

More hints with less hazy directions to important links/info would be much appreciated.

Best Regards
Randy
lovetone

Re: Bitten by the UP/Hotel Hog bug need Antidote

Post by lovetone »

Hey can you post a link to the layout please?

Cheers
RB

Post by RB »

The info I worked from is on this page

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 7&start=45

Regards
Randy
Mark

Post by Mark »

Gutshots of both amps?

I think I'd have to play a Hotel Hog amp to appreciate it. The gain from the normal channel would be something.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
sonicmojo

Post by sonicmojo »

The HH gut shots are on here but the layout from Jelle is the best documentation of it. I've not seen a good gutshot of a UP but I think there are multiple variations of the theme depending on the donor amp.

My early-70s Vibrosonic that I made into a Hotel Hog is a definite keeper. I implemented the boost on the bright switch for Vibrato channel as in the HH layout and it definitely rocks! Out of Fender territory for sure.
---------
Bryan
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

where does the relay get it's power from? or is it implicit that you have a to fit another transformer and rectifier board?

also there a missing connection under the board to the 220k grid leak resistor should be a red dotted line there.

I have a 1970 bandmaster reverb that's begging for this.......hmmm....yes or no?

Marcus
sonicmojo

Post by sonicmojo »

You'd need a relay power source for sure. It's not on the layout. I'm not sure what you are saying about the 220K. For sure you should do it to your BM Reverb!
---------
Bryan
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

sonicmojo wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:04 am You'd need a relay power source for sure. It's not on the layout. I'm not sure what you are saying about the 220K. For sure you should do it to your BM Reverb!
Brayn, it's just a missing connection on the layout. there should be a red dotted line under the board from the right hand side 220k PI grid leak resistor to the power valves :D small detail but some beginners might wonder where things are attached. I've been there :D
Hotel Hog dumble edit.jpg

if I was going to do this, would you use the old board/components or new board and new components? my board is a little wavy and it looks like a rats nest in there, I wouldn't post a gut shot if I'd built it.....

Marcus
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Marcus, I have done the HH mods to a '78-79 UL Twin. I was able to complete the mods without changing the board layout. This one was done on a budget so I didn't change the board. It sounds fantastic! If it were mine, I would probably build a new board and clean up the sloppy lead dress... Two birds, one stone.

Btw... Put me on the list to receive any new UP info... I just don't think that I have personally collected enough info on it to attempt a build. Funny, I have pulled together just enough info to build some relatively complicated builds and been rather successful... The UP starts with a known Fender circuit, so it sounds easy yet the details still elude me. :roll:
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

dorrisant wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:47 pm Marcus, I have done the HH mods to a '78-79 UL Twin. I was able to complete the mods without changing the board layout. This one was done on a budget so I didn't change the board. It sounds fantastic! If it were mine, I would probably build a new board and clean up the sloppy lead dress... Two birds, one stone.

Btw... Put me on the list to receive any new UP info... I just don't think that I have personally collected enough info on it to attempt a build. Funny, I have pulled together just enough info to build some relatively complicated builds and been rather successful... The UP starts with a known Fender circuit, so it sounds easy yet the details still elude me. :roll:
Yes, I thought the same thing about starting a fresh. Maybe it will be my next 'project' :D

I too am still a little unsure of what exactly the UP mods are. Is the HH the same as the UP? I have a guitarist/producer friend in LA who is a friend of HAD's as he used to come to his studio to try/tweak his amps before they went out and as a favour HAD took his bandmaster and did the UP mods. I asked him if I could look inside.......he said NO and showed me the sticker on it saying to NOT let anyone look :D
dumble UP note.jpg

Marcus
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Interesting....
That has the same serial number as the Ultra-Phonix Bandmaster that was for sale recently.
http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=30285

Aaron
jelle

Post by jelle »

Sorry, forgot to add the dotted line for the wire run under the board. In all fairness...yes, if you cannot pick that up right away, you should not be in an amp. It is such a basic thing. Power tubes need signal and bias voltage... :wink:

Glad the drawing was helpful. Enjoy!

jelle
Mark

Post by Mark »

I asked him if I could look inside.......he said NO and showed me the sticker on it saying to NOT let anyone look
What will he do when he needs work done on it, someone will see inside of it. History has shown resale and demand hasn't been affected by the clones, if anything it gives these amps greater exposure.

If he is a friend of HAD I can understand him wanting not to fall foul of HAD. I surprised there hasn't been greater contact with HAD but he doesn't have a reputation for being particularly social.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott