Why put short jumpers on eyelet boards?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

martin manning

Re: Why put short jumpers on eyelet boards?

Post by martin manning »

I drew the board layouts way back when, from the #124 photos: http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 0&start=30 If you look closely at the drawing, some "holes" are open (the strain relief holes) and some are filled white (the eyelets). HAD definitely wanted the leads attached at the edges, and I agree it looks much neater that way. Tony said it better than I, but the other reason is to isolate the component lead and flying lead solders.
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

The extra eyelets make me worry - it's another possible place for the circuit to fail. Simple is better imo... Jelle does make a good point though...extra eyelets come in real handy when you need more space. Also if you have to swap out a dropper resistor or something that might be tweaked,then it can be nice if there aren't wires in those eyelets.
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

amplifiednation wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:54 am The extra eyelets make me worry - it's another possible place for the circuit to fail. Simple is better imo... Jelle does make a good point though...extra eyelets come in real handy when you need more space. Also if you have to swap out a dropper resistor or something that might be tweaked,then it can be nice if there aren't wires in those eyelets.
I was thinking this over, though, and realized... there is always a wire in that eyelet, a jumper wire at a minimum, because otherwise, how do you connect the two?

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

An eyelet with component leads in it might have several, where an eyelet dedicated to attaching a flying lead will have (besides the flying lead) only one wire linking it to another eyelet. That jumper should be well hooked to prevent it from falling out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I thought the idea of eyelets was to make a V shape on the end of the cap or resistor so that it could easily be removed when needed rather then through hole and bend lead over.

Mark
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

martin manning wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:45 am An eyelet with component leads in it might have several, where an eyelet dedicated to attaching a flying lead will have (besides the flying lead) only one wire linking it to another eyelet. That jumper should be well hooked to prevent it from falling out.
Oh man! This picture is like, worth a thousand words, that makes total sense now. I see it in a way I didn't. THANKS! I think I will be using those extra eyelets now, possibly, at least in component areas where change is common. For regular resistors I think they usually last the life of the amp, but elytics, etc, that may go out, this makes total sense.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

I won't deny it's personal preference to some degree. Some modern examples are here: http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29630 On the FET board I think I'd like to add a dedicated eyelet for the input wire since there are a number of component leads there already. For short jumpers, a cut-off from a component lead works fine.
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:21 pm
martin manning wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:45 am An eyelet with component leads in it might have several, where an eyelet dedicated to attaching a flying lead will have (besides the flying lead) only one wire linking it to another eyelet. That jumper should be well hooked to prevent it from falling out.
Oh man! This picture is like, worth a thousand words, that makes total sense now. I see it in a way I didn't. THANKS! I think I will be using those extra eyelets now, possibly, at least in component areas where change is common. For regular resistors I think they usually last the life of the amp, but elytics, etc, that may go out, this makes total sense.

~Phil
I should have said 'loose' wire!!!
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation