First time D style build questions

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Beach247

First time D style build questions

Post by Beach247 »

Good morning all. I’ve been lurking the forum for some time but this is my first post. I have built 5 amps over the past year but this is my first D style build. To jump into it, I have a chassis and board set from Amplified Nation and was hoping to get some direction.

1) I’d like to do a 100w build as I have a Twin PT laying around that I got in a trade. What is everyone’s favorite variant of the 100w ODS? I don’t think I want a HRM. I prefer clean/slightly overdriven tones.

2) It seems Radio Shack doesn’t do transformers anymore. What is everyone using for the relay transformers? I found some on Mouser that look good but was hoping for a best bang for buck reccomendation.

3) 6v relays or 12v relays? I’ve seen both and not sure if there is a reason to use one over the other.

4) Precision or standard power supply and why?

Thank you for any assistance 😀👍🏻
dreric

Re: First time D style build questions

Post by dreric »

As to what amp to build it's totally subjective. This thread may help:

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11906

Sometimes you can get the RS transformers on E-bay. I think Hammond makes an equivalent.

6 volt unless you use the voltage double circuit.

If you can find a printed circuit board the the precision supply is great, if not use the standard. I can't hear any difference.

Good luck!
Eric
1949 Zenith, Zenith Toggle Recoil, Zenith 55 & 440
67plexi

Post by 67plexi »

When we started building the ODS amps we built our own board sets, I'm a fan of the PPS filter boards.
#060 ODSR-100 watt 001.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

I've built about 5 ODS amps now from a complete beginners point of view.

If you have boards from AN then I would think the power board will be Martin Mannings designed boards which are the original non precision ones.

Relays: just get 12 or 6v from mouser I've always used OMRON with good results, be aware the diagram on the bottom is reversed as if looking from below. Obviously but the correct transformer for whatever you choose, it makes no difference, it's just a switch.

As to which model; I've build #102,#124 syliner and original and the Bluesmaster. The #124 I changed from the original to Syliner tone stack then eventually changed it completely to a #102. The #102 is still my favorite ODS followed by the BM HRM. I'd be happy with either amp :D the BM has a great clean sound, it's a bit crisper than the #102 if that's your thing, the OD with the boost on is very 'rocky' If you like the Robben ford Talk to your daughter sound I think the BM is the amp that gets that sound more than his later #102.

Also I'd say , prepare yourself to build a dumbleator as well. If you're going to use time based FX and use the loop, the dumbleator is a necessity really.

HTH

Marcus
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

norburybrook wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:13 amIf you have boards from AN then I would think the power board will be Martin Mannings designed boards which are the original non precision ones.
The "Classic" PS board I drew up is easily converted to the "Precision" type by drilling a few more holes and adding a few more eyelets. I updated the .pdf in the files section to show that modification a few months ago.
Beach247

Post by Beach247 »

Thank you gents. Yes,I was wondering if it would be worth adding a couple eyelets or not. Great info Marcus! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I’m sure to have some more questions as I go.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

martin manning wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:42 am
norburybrook wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:13 amIf you have boards from AN then I would think the power board will be Martin Mannings designed boards which are the original non precision ones.
The "Classic" PS board I drew up is easily converted to the "Precision" type by drilling a few more holes and adding a few more eyelets. I updated the .pdf in the files section to show that modification a few months ago.
Thanks Martin, that's interesting to note. I haven't checked in a while so had no idea. I've got no personal experience with the difference between the two types of Power supply boards from a sound point of view so can't comment on the sound differences...if any :D ... the classic PS amps I've made all sounded great.

If you're going for a #102 or Bluesmaster 100w I'd fit the 50/100w switch from the #124 to give you options as it's an easy addition with few parts. It's a subtle difference between 50 and 100w :D

Marcus
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

norburybrook wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:30 pmI've got no personal experience with the difference between the two types of Power supply boards from a sound point of view so can't comment on the sound differences...if any :D ... the classic PS amps I've made all sounded great.
Some have claimed they can hear a difference, but the only thing I can see is 2x 47u in series will be 23.5u vs. 22u from the screen filter on down the line. That's less than manufacturing tolerance, so there shouldn't be any significant difference.
didit

Post by didit »

Would expect no audible difference, or if so so subtle. Benefits of caps in series is a higher total voltage, presuming one doesn't scrimp selecting, and also improved ESR. Reliability/durability is therefore most of it.

Best .. Ian