caps for dumble

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

galtjunk

caps for dumble

Post by galtjunk »

I usually bought my 6ps caps from CEdist.com
They show some 600v polyester caps but there is no writing on them.
They show a C-SD and a 6PS number for each cap.
https://www.cedist.com/products/capacit ... -polyester
Are these really 6PS caps?
Has anyone ordered these?
If 6PS are no longer available, what should I use instead?
martin manning

Re: caps for dumble

Post by martin manning »

Hmm... 6PS are no longer being made (edit: yes they are, see below), 418P is the nearest Vishay-Sprague substitute/equivalent. I thought AES/CEDist were selling them, but as you say there is no mention of the brand or series for the 600V Orange Drop polyester caps in the listing now. Orange Drop is a TM name, but it'd be worth asking them. Previous discussion here: http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 227&hilit=
Last edited by martin manning on Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

There is some info in the thread below. It mentions using Xicon MPP in Dumble builds. And there is a mention of Cornell Dubiler CDE DME series caps for Dumble use.

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 3F#p161297

There is this thread that suggests Nichicon 630v Polyester "QXK2J series could be a substitute for OD PS coupling cap.

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ap#p327320

There is a pseudo not very scientific cap experiment on the Hoffman forum that may be worth reading. There is mention on it that the Orange Drop 225 series may be the same as the Orange Drop PS series? There is also some mention that the Jupiter yellow caps may sound somewhat similar to the OD PS series. There is also some mention that the MusicCaps have a smooth sound; however, I would use them sparingly. I like a few MusicCaps in certain positions but find even a handful can make the amp sound too "hi-fi".

See reply #2 : http://el34world.com/Forum/index.php?topic=19534.0

With respect, 10thtx

Hopefully, others will offer some considerations for OD PS series alternatives/substitutes.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I ordered 6PS from CED and received 418.
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

I thought 6PS and 225 were merely the same thing, with different values and shapes, though. I might have read this somewhere (on the internet...)
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

I'm a little confused by this. Why would one assume that CE Distribution is no longer selling PS series capacitors if they are listed in the catalog? The picture of the capacitors in the paper catalog has never had any writing on them. Yes, some of the values come as 418P but I have been told that they are the same as the PS. I called customer service at CE Dist. to confirm this.
CW
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Me too. If you look up the CDE literature, 418P and PS are not the same thing. It appears that PS series are still being manufactured since the are listed on the CDE site, but they may not be readily available as they once were. Old stock may still be flowing through the supply chain. AES lists the series (715P, 716P, 225P) for the other Orange Drop caps, but not for the polyester ones, most likely because they can't guaranty which type they will send. They show an "old" PS-series number equivalent to the parts they now sell.
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Martin, what difference do you see on the data sheets between the PS and 418P? They look like both are single polyester film construction. They may be close enough that CDE ships those to CE Dist. when they don't have stock of the PS. CE Dist. told me today that there is no recent changes to what they are receiving or selling as PS series capacitors.
CW
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

OK I was told by Brad at CE Dist that the PS labeling for the Orange Drops is being phased out for the 418P. CED told CE Dist. they are doing this for cataloging reasons and that both those caps are the same.
CW
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

But they are not the same; they list different materials and they have different specs. I think it's more likely that the PS are being phased out, and 418P is the recommended replacement.
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Referencing the chart Martin Manning linked. Seems that there are both similarities and differences. What I don't know is IF there are tone differences or similarities.

With respect, 10thtx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

The PS series changed to polypropylene for the higher voltage ratings, so it could be that 418P and 6PS are the same at or below 1kV.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

My CED caps were always marked 6PS it wasn't until I reordered to stock some values that I received 418 and then ordered 6PS again only to receive 418.

Mark
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

There had to be some difference between the two lines for CDE to maintain two different part numbers. In the application note PS are for "commercial applications." Maybe some old literature or advertising would reveal what that means, but it could be they were intended for general replacement service, and low-priced. Mouser now lists CDE type PS Orange Drop as a new product, but only stock a very few values. They also list type 418P, again with a limited selection.