caps for dumble

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

10thTx

Re: caps for dumble

Post by 10thTx »

I sure would be interested in alternative brands of caps to the Orange Drop varieties that may sound similar and/or be suitable for D-inspired amps or D clones?

With respect, 10thtx
galtjunk

Post by galtjunk »

I received a reply from CEdist on a question about the 600 volt polyester caps they sell.
They are 418p.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

galtjunk wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:53 pm I received a reply from CEdist on a question about the 600 volt polyester caps they sell.
They are 418p.
Thanks for checking into that. The last batch I got from them are marked CDE6PS and SBE6PS (depending on the value).
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Colossal wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:37 am Thanks for checking into that. The last batch I got from them are marked CDE6PS and SBE6PS (depending on the value).
The ones marked SBE are old stock, since Cornel-Dublier (CDE) has been making them since 2012. Vishay (SBE) took over production from Sprague in 1992. Seems like it's taking quite a while to clear out all of the older stuff!
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

OK, so I spoke to a very cool gentleman who is an engineer at CDE. He told me that at 600v the PS and 418P are identical capacitors. The numbers seem to have more to do with how the leads are configured than the construction of the capacitor. As to the question of why is there a PS series if they are the same as the 418P? He doesn't know. CDE brought in all of their own people when they took over SBE. Now to the part that might get me in trouble. I don't think CDE is phasing out the PS series. I think CE DIst. is or should I say stocking certain values with 418P depending on how much they order. If they don't order enough PS series caps in a particular value from CDE and CDE has 418P in stock, that's what they get. The engineer at CDE didn't know anything about the company he works for phasing out or discontinuing the PS series orange drops.
CW
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Thats good to know, thanks for passing it along, CW. As I mentioned above, Mouser is listing the PS series as a new product, indicating new production. Sill, it seems strange to have identical parts with two different numbers. If it is about the lead bends, then I can understand that (for automated assembly, perhaps), but I've seen cases where the same part will just have a different suffix or something depending upon the lead bend style.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Yeah everything on Mouser seems to show the 715P's as actively sold and CDE's website has links to them as active products with no data I can find showing them EOL or anything similar, I'd wager that CE Dist is just discontinuing them.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

715P? They (along with 716P) are polypropylene dielectric, not polyester as traditionally used in Dumbles. That's why the focus on the two polyester types 6PS and 418P here. Does that make a huge difference? Some say PP is too "Hi-Fi."
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Sorry I musta misunderstood, the 6PS ones also exists on mouser (but only for 3 values oddly) but the CDE site has them listed as if they're current.
for the 418P I see tons on mouser and similarly exist on the site, doesn't seem like they're trying to discontinue them?

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

I found some Sprague data sheets from 1972 and at that time the PS series was paper and mylar. The 418P was polyester film. I know that at some later time the PS caps became polyester also. I don't know if they were redundant at that point.
CW
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Mylar is just a brand name for polyester film. It’s interesting that some were listed as using the brand name, and others the “generic.” You might also see it called PET, for Polyethylene Terephthalate. Any chance you could post one of those data sheets?
Mr. dB

Post by Mr. dB »

Has anyone tried WIMA MKS caps for this application? The appropriate values are available: https://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.as ... WIMA+MKS-4

Lead length would be a problem, but not an insurmountable one.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

I might , just for fun make a dumble amp using some random caps instead of orange drops. I'd be interested to see if it actually makes a sonic difference :D

Any one else tried?

M
Guido van der Sluis

Post by Guido van der Sluis »

martin manning wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:27 pm Hmm... 6PS are no longer being made, 418P is the nearest Vishay-Sprague substitute/equivalent. I thought AES/CEDist were selling them, but as you say there is no mention of the brand or series for the 600V Orange Drop polyester caps in the listing now. Orange Drop is a TM name, but it'd be worth asking them. Previous discussion here: http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 227&hilit=
Are you sure? I recently bought them in Europe...
Mr. G.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

See above.