caps for dumble

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Guido van der Sluis

Re: caps for dumble

Post by Guido van der Sluis »

martin manning wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:53 am 715P? They (along with 716P) are polypropylene dielectric, not polyester as traditionally used in Dumbles. That's why the focus on the two polyester types 6PS and 418P here. Does that make a huge difference? Some say PP is too "Hi-Fi."
Today i swapped my 715P's with 6PS's. (except for PI Input cap) Yes the difference s huge in a Dumble design! Different and more harmonics, not hifi, less clean....Great for lead tones. For clean rhythm it might be suboptimal..
Mr. G.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Thanks for the report Mr. G! Looks like the right kind of caps will be available for the foreseeable future too.
pula58

Post by pula58 »

Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Martin, here is the link for the 1972 Sprague data sheets:
http://www.33audio.com/enter/data/1972SpragueFilm.pdf
cw
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Thanks, CW. That's just a catalog listing, really, but it indicates that there is (or was) a difference between PS (dual dielectric film/paper, impregnated with "HCX") and 418P (film/foil, and low cost). Another catalog with OD PS from '63 (pg 500), 225P from '65 (pg 501); no 418P listing: http://www.technicalaudio.com/pdf/Elect ... EM_E30.pdf
JD0x0

Post by JD0x0 »

norburybrook wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:51 pm I might , just for fun make a dumble amp using some random caps instead of orange drops. I'd be interested to see if it actually makes a sonic difference :D

Any one else tried?

M
I'd love to hear an ODS with polystyrene caps.
It's true i've lost my marbles and i cant remember where i put them
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

Hi Guys and Gals,

Resurrecting an old thread here. These days, CE Distribution has polyester orange drop caps listed for sale. CE says the brand is Orange Drop, but the data sheet they link to is clearly Cornell Dubilier. Are these caps to be trusted? Anyone using these caps from CE care to opine?

Many thanks,
Lou
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Orange Drop (trademark name) were originally were made by Sprague, which later became SBE. SBE announced they were selling the Orange Drop line to CDE in 2012.
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

Thank you, Martin. The reason I thought CDE were no longer making caps is that Mouser only have about three values of the 6PS caps in their database. But it looks like CE Distribution carry the entire line. I have a vague recollection from maybe 10 years ago of reading something to the affect of the 6PS line was no longer in production.
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture