New build, OD needs help, Solved, clip added

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

norburybrook

Re: New build, OD needs help

Post by norburybrook »

I've fallen foul of not measuring components before fitting [emoji3]. I had a 100R in a pack of 100k RND65 once. I also had a bad diode once that took some trouble shooting.

Glad you sorted it. I'm quite intrigued by a small Dumble ODS type and with reverb.

And I have a pair of 6V6 sat here staring at me.....

Marcus

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Glad you solved it. How was it that the reverb worked fine in clean mode?
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

norburybrook wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:01 pm I've fallen foul of not measuring components before fitting [emoji3]. I had a 100R in a pack of 100k RND65 once. I also had a bad diode once that took some trouble shooting.

Glad you sorted it. I'm quite intrigued by a small Dumble ODS type and with reverb.

And I have a pair of 6V6 sat here staring at me.....

Marcus

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
I'm a big fan of low power Dumble circuits. Dumbles in general sound ok with the master turned down, but there's nothing like a cranked up Dumble. By using 2x6V6s you can crank it and enjoy without losing your hearing.
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

martin manning wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:17 pm Glad you solved it. How was it that the reverb worked fine in clean mode?
Well it worked, but I lost a lot of power. Apparently the OD side was more impacted than the clean side.
Bob-I

Re: New build, OD needs help, Solved, clip added, wierd things

Post by Bob-I »

Well that was strange...

I went to put this chassis in a Princeton Reverb combo cab with a 12" installed, the xformer didn't clear, just a tad bigger than the PR xformer. I moved it over an inch so it would fit. Fired it up and damn..sounded terrible again, just like before.

I i thought there might be some PO but my scope is broken, so I opened up the scope to start troubleshooting, manual is on-line. Now the damn thing is working. Self healing scope? :oops:

I watched a sine wave through the gain stages, exactly what I'd expect. Check for PO, I don't see any. Connected it to the speaker in the princeton cab with the chassis on the bench, it sounds glorious. :roll:

Color me confused. Gig tomorrow so I need the Princeton working, I'll just back in next week.
JazzGuitarGimp

Re: New build, OD needs help, Solved, clip added

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

If you inadvertantly had your scope in x-y mode, that would explain the issue of no sweep.
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
Bob-I

Re: New build, OD needs help, Solved, clip added

Post by Bob-I »

JazzGuitarGimp wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:58 am If you inadvertantly had your scope in x-y mode, that would explain the issue of no sweep.
That’s the first thing I checked. I’ve had this scope for maybe 30 years and I hope I know how to use it, but you never know, lots of stuff has fallen out of this brain. :oops: