Dumble Overdrive Special #124 build video series

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

j0k3335

Re: Dumble Overdrive Special #124 build video series

Post by j0k3335 »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 4:36 pm The final demo of the Dumble Overdrive Special #124.
Hopefully my playing won't put you off of enjoying the tone!

~Phil
congrats for this personal realisation !

I REALLY like the different recipes that you choose for boost, brite, Jazz/Rock, OD , ... !!! ( in some amp , I don't like PAB or Brite or mid boost ... ... )
== not only that's the kind of sounds I'm looking for BUT it seems that most of the guitar's types can sound good on this amp !!!

So, really a big congrats !

... may be one day, I'll be able to build a such amp ... :shock: :lol: ( and anyway, I will keep these different videos, advices, ... :wink: )
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Thanks. I really dig the tone shaping you get witty this thing!

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

tUber Nerd!
Rhythmking

Post by Rhythmking »

Where are the videos?
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

They're all linked here through the links, from youtube, but you can see the list of them in this playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIUSELG ... MrgYqJC9hS

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Rhythmking wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:18 am Where are the videos?
I finally figured out what you meant. The 'video' link tool seems broken so I fixed them all to be 'youtube' links. Seems good now.

Thanks!

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Today

Post by Today »

Greetings,

Here I come again, after many years... I am about to build a D amp #124 with CLEAN ONLY preamp (only one ECC83 valve), low plate classic with 100k slope and 100k anode resistors etc. My goal is to make CLEAN sound only, with just a touch of ¨crunch¨ on higher gain - think sound of Peter Green, Mark Knopfler, Brian Setzer, and the great variety of Nasville Telecaster players (I play Telecaster guitar and Gretsch guitar). Some people call such amps nowadays ¨pedal friendly¨. Yes, I guess that seems right - although I do not use any boost, fuzz, sustain... pedals. I only use CALI76 compressor predal in front of the amp input, as far as the signal chain goes betwen Telecaster or Gretsch guitar that I play.

For tone stack it is really unclear to me what would be Treble, Mid, Bass pot values and tapers that are good for me. I was reading a lot these days here, and it seems that THE MORE I READ THE LESS I KNOW (actually, the less I am certain of what to make). Some poeple and some schematics and layots make it look that it is like this for those pots:

Classic: Treble is 250kA (Audio/log taper), Mid 100kB (linear), Bass 500kA (Audio).
Skyline: Treble 250kA, Mid 250kA, Bass 500kA (all Audio/log tapers).

However, some seemingly knowledgeable member stated in some thread, that Treble pot is ¨a mixer¨ and that ¨it is good to be LINEAR (250kB)¨! It seems to me that it is right (?). Second, someone else stated that Mid with 250kA pot ¨adds mid boost¨, which in my opinion should be the role of Mid pot anyway. I also red that instead of 500kA for Bass it is OK to use 250kA pot (which seems OK to me - however, Ceriatone D-amps all have 500kA for the Bass pot, except one, named after famous guitar player, who uses 250kA pot for Bass, which looks good to me).

So, right now my idea of semi-final choice for this build is:

Treble 250kB (linear)
Mid 250kA (log)
Bass 250kA (log)

COULD YOU HELP ME MAKE FINAL CHOICE from this semi-final, kindly? Thanks in advance.