Dumble Overdrive Special #124 build video series

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

j0k3335

Re: Dumble Overdrive Special #124 build video series

Post by j0k3335 »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:59 pm I'll be livestreaming the dumble build process Saturday 2/24/2018 11am PST, 2pm EST, please join in!
... as you could imagine, pompeiisneaks/Phil, this topic, all these vids and explanations is wonderful for a newbie like me :D

Thanks a lot :wink:
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

j0k3335 wrote:
pompeiisneaks wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:59 pm I'll be livestreaming the dumble build process Saturday 2/24/2018 11am PST, 2pm EST, please join in!
... as you could imagine, pompeiisneaks/Phil, this topic, all these vids and explanations is wonderful for a newbie like me :D

Thanks a lot :wink:
You're very welcome. I'm learning too mind you :)

Phil

Sent from my LG-V521 using Tapatalk

tUber Nerd!
rccolgan

Post by rccolgan »

Really great series! I can also appreciate you shooting the video in 4k! You must be a video guy too like me. 8)
Ryan
https://www.thetonegeek.com/
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Yeah I'm a video nerd, still wish I had the ability to do more but time is my limit. I have a Sony A7RII and love it. I still end up messing up focus often because I'm using Canon EF glass on it and the auto focus doesn't work for shit. I need to get a monitor setup so I don't mess that up.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Here's video 6 in the Dumble Overdrive Special #124 build series

Also, I'm going to be livestreaming tomorrow at 11am PST 1pm EST. Join me in the shop!

tUber Nerd!
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Phil,
That filter cap on the input side of the chassis grounds with the rest of the preamp grounds under the input jack.
CW
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Cool thanks, I was having a hard time telling, glad to have someone confirm that!

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I'll be doing another livestream tomorrow, come join the fun! 11am PST, 1pm EST:

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Hello Phil, a couple things. Most the guys are using ceramic disc for the 270pf snubbers on the OD tube. They roll off some top end and smooth the overdrive. You are building a Low Plate Classic so maybe you will prefer the higher 300pf value(maybe not). You are using RG59 style coaxial which is a bit of a challenge(pain), you are going to want to wire up all of the coaxial and run a buss bar across the pots before you mount the board. Also have your relays wired up.
CW
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Thanks! that makes sense, and yes I can tell the rg59 isn't very flexible in short runs.

Do you think it will be a problem with using mica caps instead of ceramic? I'd just always read they're always a bit noisy if not a lot so I tend do avoid them like the plague.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Phil, I have not actually listened to mica caps in that location but I know other forum members seem to prefer ceramic, as does Dumble. Also, small changes in value make a difference sound wise. At least to my ears. When I went from a Low plate classic to a high plate classic, I went from 270pf to 250pf and there was a difference. If you are ordering some other parts you may want to have a pair of 270pf ceramic discs waiting in the wings.
CW
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:34 pm Phil, I have not actually listened to mica caps in that location but I know other forum members seem to prefer ceramic, as does Dumble. Also, small changes in value make a difference sound wise. At least to my ears. When I went from a Low plate classic to a high plate classic, I went from 270pf to 250pf and there was a difference. If you are ordering some other parts you may want to have a pair of 270pf ceramic discs waiting in the wings.
CW
I think I'll plan on that, thanks. I may even have some that came out of the fender, I'll have to look.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

Thanks for doing these videos Phil!

I've been out of amp building for a while due to school and work, but now I've finally got time to get back in to things and plan on doing a #124 build from a Trinity Kit. These videos have been great to follow! Thanks so much again for putting these out!
- Matt J.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

You're welcome :)

It also appears that I've only got a 250pF and a 500pF in the tone stacks of each channel, bummer, I'll have to get some

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
modman

Post by modman »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:33 amHello Phil, a couple things. Most the guys are using ceramic disc for the 270pf snubbers on the OD tube. They roll off some top end and smooth the overdrive.
:shock:
Charlie Wilson wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:34 pm Phil, I have not actually listened to mica caps in that location but I know other forum members seem to prefer ceramic, as does Dumble. Also, small changes in value make a difference sound wise. At least to my ears. When I went from a Low plate classic to a high plate classic, I went from 270pf to 250pf and there was a difference. If you are ordering some other parts you may want to have a pair of 270pf ceramic discs waiting in the wings.
To my ears may well mean 'in my imagination'
Screenshot from 2018-03-14 15-46-52.png
Screenshot from 2018-03-14 15-46-28.png

Old ceramics have 20% tolerance, the 250pF may wel be 200pF or 300pF
The advantage of mica's is they are have lower tolerance, that's all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.