First build: Small Special

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

tubeswell

Re: First build: Small Special

Post by tubeswell »

psaulaferraz wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 6:00 am Hi!
After receiving a new transformer I finally could test the amp! Everything seemed to work fine, but before putting any tubes, I tested the B+ Rails. I discovered that there was almost no difference in voltage between different B+ Rails. Is this normal? I think that it could be because there are no tubes in the circuit and therefore there is no current draw, which following Ohm's Law, will lead me to no voltage drop.
Am I right?
Thanks!
Indeed. You need the tubes plugged in to get current through the power rail. Current x Resistance = Voltage drop
He who dies with the most tubes... wins
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: First build: Small Special

Post by pompeiisneaks »

psaulaferraz wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 6:00 am Hi!
After receiving a new transformer I finally could test the amp! Everything seemed to work fine, but before putting any tubes, I tested the B+ Rails. I discovered that there was almost no difference in voltage between different B+ Rails. Is this normal? I think that it could be because there are no tubes in the circuit and therefore there is no current draw, which following Ohm's Law, will lead me to no voltage drop.
Am I right?
Thanks!
Yes the dropping resistors don't impact as much as you'd think, until there are tube in circuit. Then the tubes themselves drop current through them, and the dropping resistors have more of an impact too as that voltage drop is based upon how much current flows through them as well.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!