Favorite Enclosure for Four Button Footswitch?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Charlie Wilson

Favorite Enclosure for Four Button Footswitch?

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Hello, I need to build a four button footswitch for a Dumble project and was wondering what guys like to use for an enclosure.
Thanks,
CW
Colossal

Re: Favorite Enclosure for Four Button Footswitch?

Post by Colossal »

Hi Charlie,

I used a 4S1032L "Looper" enclosure (9.75"L x 2.65"W x 2.00"H) from Mammoth Electronics and had it powder coated textured black. Here is how it is laid out:

Footswitch.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Thanks Colossal, I like it. I am curious about your layout that has a separate relay and LED ground. I am constructing a footswitch for an existing Dumble device. I wish I could show more but the customer would rather I didn't.
CW
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

This looks like a 10-pin EIAJ connector to me. Is that correct?
CW
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Looks like it to me. Just have to figure out if it is RM15TPD-10P(71) or RM15TPD-10S(71). Thanks Martin. On further reading of the data sheet, it looks like P is male and S is female, so P it is.
CW
Last edited by Charlie Wilson on Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

(deleted)
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:38 am Thanks Colossal, I like it. I am curious about your layout that has a separate relay and LED ground. I am constructing a footswitch for an existing Dumble device. I wish I could show more but the customer would rather I didn't.
CW
Hi Charlie,

I used double-pole switches and a separate 5VDC source to power the relays and a common ground for the LEDs, each getting one pole of the switch. The leads for each switching function (OD/Clean, PAB, etc) live on the other pole and just act to close the switch, throwing the relay.
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Thanks again Colossal.
CW
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Looks like ODS #121 has a similar footswitch.
Maybe you can carve one out too :D

Aaron
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Whoa, that is pretty cool but I think I'll stick with metal. :D The thing I'm starting to wonder about is how many functions the footswitch will have. If you look at the wiring to the receptacle on the inside of the chassis there are four brown wires which are the LED 12V and four different colored wire on the other side which are the relays. The black wire in the middle is the ground but what the heck is the yellow wire above the black wire? I am going to have to get inside this thing.
CW
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Deleted
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Ok, so I figured out that this is going to be a five function foot switch. The colored wires are: Blue-Overdrive, Tan-PAB, Yellow-Jazz/Rock, Orange-Mid Boost, and white goes to a little 12V Archer reed relay on the board and shorts out the reverb. So now I have five functions and four LED 12V wires. The I noticed that Dumble had run a wire across the 1K LED current limiting resistors. My guess is that he did this to parallel all of the resistors on the board(except for the two that go to the LEDs on the front panel) down to 250 ohm and use current limiting resistors inside the footswitch. I am also guessing that he intended it to be a four function footswitch and then decided to add a fifth function. What do you guys think?
CW
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Sounds reasonable to me. It has five relays in total then? And, you can get them to pull in by shorting the appropriate pins on the footswitch jack to the relay supply ground? You task is to construct a replacement foot switch, I guess?
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Yes Martin, I have been asked to make a footswitch for an existing Dumble preamp. The tricky part is that I'm going back and forth with the customer with photos and verbal information. So no, I have not actually shorted the colored relay wires to see if the relays engage. The other thing is there may be more than five relays as there are functions that automatically switch. There is a clean reverb level and a overdrive reverb level. Also, a clean master volume and a separate overdrive master volume.
CW